Sign in to follow this  
KYSIGN

Indoor Pool?

Recently my refrigerators ice maker decided to malfunction during the fill cycle. It kept pouring water into the freezer and then onto and then thru the floor. I had a nice pool downstairs before it was noticed.

The small gear slipped off of the shaft after years of use. It just happened to fall off while in the fill position. I put the gear back and it's working like normal. I'll keep an eye on it for awhile and maybe glue it if needed. I don't want to hire a lifeguard.

post-35520-0-33435600-1409246537_thumb.j

I wouldn't even wait to glue it.   I'd make sure it never came off again. 

I just finished putting some epoxy on it. It had already moved 1/16 of an inch or more.

• Like 1

gotta work on ours soon - icemaker fill tube was leaking on top = plugged that and still water running inside of fridge but it is going to be fun getting to it - french door freezer on the bottom - ice maker on top

I had the hose to the ice maker break one evening, awoke to a pool in the kitchen.  I went with the braided stainless steel hose.

I had the hose to the ice maker break one evening, awoke to a pool in the kitchen.  I went with the braided stainless steel hose.

I wont use the plastic icemaker kits i tell the custoner i will buy the hook up supplies and use the braided like you or copper tubing.

If you water starts tasting funny after awhile change your hose. The braided ones although they are tougher on the outside they have a different inner tubing and it will break down with heat and create a bad taste. Used to be an appliance tech. learned this on a new refrigerator that I replaced all the parts and found it was a brand new braided hose that was giving off the smell/taste in the water. Went to the white plastic braided hose(braids are nylon) and satisfied customer. just my.02 :)

• Like 1

If you water starts tasting funny after awhile change your hose. The braided ones although they are tougher on the outside they have a different inner tubing and it will break down with heat and create a bad taste. Used to be an appliance tech. learned this on a new refrigerator that I replaced all the parts and found it was a brand new braided hose that was giving off the smell/taste in the water. Went to the white plastic braided hose(braids are nylon) and satisfied customer. just my.02 :)

I mostly use copper though the braided is so easy. I use braided on commodes, faucets and dishwashers but like to leave a coil of copper tubing behind the appliance so it can be moved out easily to clean or repair.

The ice maker is working great. It's ice production has doubled and actually keeps the bin full now and stops when it should. I guess the gear was hit or miss for awhile. Fingers crossed.

Our ice maker floods the freezer all the time, but I think it's cause the kids are careless with it.

post-612-0-92537700-1409500075_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

Our ice maker floods the freezer all the time, but I think it's cause the kids are careless with it.

I remember the problem getting worse later in the night on the weekend.