Eastwood

oracal 810 on drywall (spray mask)

Hello all, I am doing a very large stencil job, basically a border around inside of a church above the chair rail.

I am using oracal spray mask 810 I am using latex paint, I cannot stop paint from bleeding behind the stencil???

I rolled with a brayer, used a heat gun...please Help Thanks, Scott

How are you applying the paint? Spray? Roll? Brush?

Also, is the brayer soft rubber of hard plastic?

Spraying the paint on with light coats (perhaps an airbrush?)

will yield better results than a brush or roller.

A paint /drywall surface is far from glass-smooth.

A hard brayer could actually make seepages worse.

Rubbing it down with your hand may encourage the mask into

the low areas better than a brayer.

When I've done typical house painting, if you put the tape/paint mask down, then paint the edges of with the original wall color, let it dry, then go back and paint the new color it will virtually eliminate all bleeding.

• Like 4

I am not sure how to post an image but its a series of the designs with many cut outs.  I was dabbing with foam. and pressing with a wood dowel..

In the past I've used 631 as a mask on drywall and glass with great results, assuming it will stick to the wall. With 631 I found I get the best results peeling the mask shortly after the paint gets tacky, if it dries you could peel some of the latex with the stencil. I've had problems with a few brands of spray mask on cars, havn't used real spraymask since.

Thanks all for the info,

I rubbed the stencil with fingers, it did minimize bleed. I am going to use some 631 and try it out.

I pulled stencil off the wall last night, wow on wall peel surface paint off, and you could see the old stencil work clear as day, as if the wall paint was not prepped correctly, painter has been called to take a look at it. i did do peel off tacky and dry, both seemed to pull paint off..well gunna give it another shot today.. Thanks again