101LEDs

Is it possible to recreate a hand cut design for machine cutting?

I have a shape that I want to cut on the machine, how would you go about turning it into a cuttable file? It is the headlight shape in the picture. It's not intricate but has 3 holes that have to be cut out also in the middle. I'm guessing it can be done, thinking scan it in and trace it then clean it up and save?

post-87856-0-61261800-1409003301_thumb.j

That's how I would do it. Good photo, take some measurements for reference, manual trace, cut the piece and see how it fits then adjust as necessary.

Something that small, I would place transfer tape on it, cut it to the shape I wanted the graphic, remove it, place it on some paper, and then scan it. pull it into Illy or flexi, or whatever program you use and manually trace it.

That way, you know exactly how the decal will lay and conform, and the cut vinyl will be the exact shape it needs to be.

Actually have a hand cut one already on in that picture. I can pull it off and scan it no problem. Shouldn't need much adjustment I hope. Thanks

Actually have a hand cut one already on in that picture. I can pull it off and scan it no problem. Shouldn't need much adjustment I hope. Thanks

i dont see a decal in that picture.

are you wrapping the bezel? in that case, I would recommend taking it off and just wrapping it with a piece large enough to cover.

The whole headlight is covered in a clear UV resistant film, it's main use is for industrial applications. I decided to try it when I put aftermarket headlights in our work truck to see if it prevents yellowing. 5 months and it's crystal clear still.

• Like 1

The whole headlight is covered in a clear UV resistant film, it's main use is for industrial applications. I decided to try it when I put aftermarket headlights in our work truck to see if it prevents yellowing. 5 months and it's crystal clear still.

Ahh, ok. My original recommendation is what I stand with. I don't know how well the edges will show up if you try to scan a clear piece of film, but that is a good idea to keep the headlights looking new.

Good point, I will try scanning a piece of scrap first then on to a template if the results are not great.

I do this exact same thing a lot. I like to put a piece of paper over the film and scribble around the edges with a pencil to trace it. Once on the computer, I manually trace the scribble line, then clean it up. Many of mine are too large to scan so I'll take a photo, but the lens often distorts the shape so I do a test cut with scrap vinyl first. I keep a roll of Greenstar on hand for this reason.

I also like to use a square to measure the shape as long as the shape has one straight edge. The software measures the shape as if it were inside a box that is just big enough to hold it on all four sides. This is exactly what the square is doing, measuring it at it's tallest and widest point, so no matter how funky the shape is, those two measurements should be enough.

This one is 8 1/4 high and 4 1/8th wide, roughly anyway, it's a bad pic and it's not lined up a precise as I'd normally do it. Once I digitally trace it, I'd rotate this one to the left so the bottom flat edge is perfectly horizontal, then punch in one of the numbers and the other is usually automatically correct. If one measurement is off, it's usually because of lens distortion.

post-29371-0-32304200-1409020416_thumb.j

• Like 1