Sign in to follow this  
Marie925

Vinyl on Glass in Humidity

Hey! I am installing vinyl decals on glass mugs at craft shows, and I am wondering if anyone has any good tips and tricks. It is super hot and humid and they are getting bubbles no matter how careful I am when transferring them. I am using paper transfer tape, but I am still having trouble with the thinner decals when trying to remove the tape. Since it is so humid the decals want to stay on the transfer tape and not the mug. I am wiping the mugs down before starting. 

I am being sure to tell everyone not to use their mugs for 24 hours to be sure the adhesive has time to set.

Thanks!

use the highest % of alcohol for wiping down prior to install. once on the glass, spray the tape with app spray or even water while applied to glass, let it sit for a few seconds. it will start to wrinkle and comes off super easy! 

One the 2nd day I did start wiping with alcohol before applying. It wasn't drying super fast so I was wiping with alcohol them wiping off with dry paper towel - is that defeating the purpose??

So you are saying spray the back of the tape after it is on there.... I assume this soaks in and releases the glue?

Npace is saying spray the back of the decal with application fluid, not with alcohol.

What % isopropyl alcohol are you using. I use 70% alcohol, where I'm at it is pretty dang humid, the alcohol evaporates fast.

• Like 1

Npace is saying spray the back of the decal with application fluid, not with alcohol.

What % isopropyl alcohol are you using. I use 70% alcohol, where I'm at it is pretty dang humid, the alcohol evaporates fast.

Yep I understood not to spray with alcohol on app tape :-) . That 2nd part of my post was in reference to the application fluid or water suggestion. I guess I always assumed app fluid went on under the decal.... ? so that is why I was asking for clarification... I assume soaking the paper in it releases the papers hold on the decal?? 

I believe I am using 70% as well (I'll double check tonight though) on the glass before application. I seriously was not waiting long though because I had customers waiting. I just didn't think wiping them down and having them ready would make sense.... if they sat out for too long before I applied to them. So I was wiping them with alcohol. getting my decal out of my file system and then wiping them off again with the paper towel and applying. It was seriously horrible here on Friday and Saturday afternoon when I was doing this though (hottest and most humid I have seen it this summer).

Application fluid serves two purposes - primarily it slows down the adhesion of vinyl to the substrate and gives a chance to work out wrinkles and bubbles, and even wiggle it around a little to get it lined up perfectly.

Then, after you squeegee all of the fluid out from underneath the vinyl and tape, you can spray the back side of the tape, rub it around with your fingers and within a few seconds you'll see it start to pucker and bubble up and then it peels off much easier.

Just make sure you're using paper tape - it does NOT work with clear/plastic tapes!

• Like 1

I usually use Rapid Tac on hot days outside, but on extra humid or cold days i have used Rapid Tac 2 with good results.

• Like 1

According to their website: "Rapid Tac was designed for "premium Cast" films in most weather/temperature conditions. Now there is Rapid Tac II which works with any type film in temperatures extremes 20°F to 140°F. and is a blessing for glass applications."

According to their website: "Rapid Tac was designed for "premium Cast" films in most weather/temperature conditions. Now there is Rapid Tac II which works with any type film in temperatures extremes 20°F to 140°F. and is a blessing for glass applications."

I use Rapid Tac II for everything.  Great stuff.  

Sure beats the hell out of my DIY app fluid.