smendlik

PayPal account hacked!

I know warnings have been posted before but just a reminder - watch your PayPal account.  I got an e-mail from PayPal stating that I sent payment for $10 to someone, no other information besides his name.  At first I thought it was a scam e-mail trying to get me to give up my username / password.  I went directly to PayPal and logged in, didn't see the payment sent listed in the recent activity.  I thought that was strange so I clicked the link to look at payments sent and sure enough, there was the payment. 

They are getting crafty, not only did they find a way to send themselves $10 from my account but they then figure out how to hide it from the recent activity so that I might think the e-mail was the scam and not see that money was actually sent.

If you haven't done so in a while now is a good time to change your password and security questions!

• Like 1

Did you change your password a couple of months ago when it was announced that eBay/PayPal ID's and Passwords were compromised?

• Like 2

Did you change your password a couple of months ago when it was announced that eBay/PayPal ID's and Passwords were compromised?

Yep, sure did.

I always drain my account down so there's nothing for them to have. Have not had any problems (knock on wood) with paypal except my wife using it to buy marykay. 

same here...I don't keep anything in Paypal....  I purchase with a credit card  thru Paypal. so I can get some cash back and more protection... And I pay my credit card balance right away...

• Like 1

Never had an issue with Paypal but I had 2 different credit cards hit last year. I still prefer the green stuff whenever possible.

I always drain my account down so there's nothing for them to have. Have not had any problems (knock on wood) with paypal except my wife using it to buy marykay. 

But wouldn't that then cause, in this case, for the money to be paid directly from my associated checking account? 

Paypal has whats called VIP Access which when you log in you need the number that the program produces to enter in the box before it will open your account. The number changes every minute

MM64 B)

Paypal has whats called VIP Access which when you log in you need the number that the program produces to enter in the box before it will open your account. The number changes every minute

MM64 B)

Exactly. Paypal texts me a code to enter whenever someone attempts to login to my account. The extra security is a comfort, especially when my bank accounts are linked.

Exactly. Paypal texts me a code to enter whenever someone attempts to login to my account. The extra security is a comfort, especially when my bank accounts are linked.

Thanks for the info, I'll check into the VIP program.

I didn't know about the VIP thing. That's kinda cool. Mine is tied to an old checking account at a bank that we pretty much switched away from but kept open so they are still out of luck if they try to make any large purchase over about $3.27 LOL. I'll have to look into the VIP thing though that sounds great. 

For anything online i use a prepaid debit card that i load with slightly more then a transaction i am making so it keeps my regular credit cards safe.

I didn't know about the VIP thing. That's kinda cool. Mine is tied to an old checking account at a bank that we pretty much switched away from but kept open so they are still out of luck if they try to make any large purchase over about $3.27 LOL. I'll have to look into the VIP thing though that sounds great. 

If it gets refused who pays the bank fee? I had paypal get bounced once because a check didn't clear on my end and even though they got no money the bank hit me with a $35 overdraft fee.

Sign up for the VIP security, I just did it and it was super simple and free.  Now when I go to log into PayPal I get a 6 digit code that is only good for 5 minutes, if I don't enter it in correctly I cannot log into my account.  Simple & free.