gwestcorp

Does magnet material go bad? Pictures attached from my customer

Does magnetic material go bad? Customer sent these pictures of magnets I made that are falling apart. He's had them a couple weeks. I cut them from a roll of .030 Magnum Magnetic. The roll is a few years old but I've done other magnets recently with no problem. Does anyone have an explanation for why this might be happening? I gave the customer a set of care instructions. Customer needs to be able to remove often.

Thanks in advance for your responses.

post-86515-0-69299700-1408411401_thumb.j

post-86515-0-09399700-1408411411_thumb.j

post-86515-0-03703600-1408411420_thumb.j

Yes they do go bad, I had a set on my car that I didn't rotate and it took a pressure washer to get them off. They peeled a part just like your photos. The sun is a real killer with magnets. 

Yes the sun has been extremely hot here in Floriduh?! I offered to replace them and use a different roll of material but I think they are coming around to the fact that it could simply be the heat causing the problems. My other magnets that I've made recently aren't being removed daily like these were. So many people need magnets around here because they live in gated communities and have crazy homeowner rules. Glad I live in the woods and don't have any rules.

Thanks for your insight.

• Like 2

Curious, is it the heat or UV rays that are breaking them down? I have a roll of material on the way and didn't think about this happening.

The heat definitely factors in but I've never had it happen that soon after sale.