slice&dice

What's the deal with 14" plotter?

Why don't they make the mini-plotter 16" wide? That would accommodate a STANDARD roll of 15" vinyl.

I'm just not understanding the logic of a 14" wide cutter.

car-li-jie-mini-high-quality-good-after-

Anyone who owns the small unit (TITAN, or MH, or even Graphtec mini) can you explain what's the attraction of a cutter that fails to accept the most common size of material produced by all major vinyl manufacturers?

If you mean CraftRobo or Sillouette when stating Graphtec mini, I would imagine a factor would be an initial lower price and desire to contour cut printed graphics from nothing larger than 8.5 X 11 sheets. Not everyone cuts for an income, nor does everyone desire a wide format printer. I'd further venture a guess that those who choose/chose to cut rolled vinyl on a craft size cutter are also not high volume and don't find it that inconvenient to split a 15" roll for their use. I've supplemented my 24" Copam that's never seen a roll larger than 15" with a CraftRobo CC200 for years to do smaller contour cuts. Recently acquired a CE5000-40 that I'm pleased with.......however thus far in the learning process, find it more difficult to contour cut 8.5 X 11' sheets than on the smaller CraftRobo. 

Thanks for the serious reply, edge.

Yes, I was referring to the machine sold by US CUTTER as the CE6000-40  (15")

I looked again at their specifications, and see that unit has a maximum cutting width 14.76" wide, while handling vinyl material width up to 19" -- so that machine actually deals with standard rolls of vinyl.

I also see that the Titan will accommodate 15" vinyl, with a max. cutting width of 13"

So, I stand corrected on those two units.

However, the MH smallest machine handles cutting widths of only 10.75" (and there is no indication of the maximum media width that can be fed through it, but it seems to me that 15" wide vinyl won't fit)

I'm going to communicate directly with USCUTTER, maybe they can check this, and perhaps I'm wrong on the capacity of the MH.

However, the MH smallest machine handles cutting widths of only 10.75" (and there is no indication of the maximum media width that can be fed through it, but it seems to me that 15" wide vinyl won't fit)

I use my MH-365 14" cutter for portable work. The "throat" of the cutter is 14" so any vinyl less than that will fit. I use either 24" wide rolls cut in half or cutoffs from other jobs. 

I use my MH-365 14" cutter for portable work. The "throat" of the cutter is 14" so any vinyl less than that will fit. I use either 24" wide rolls cut in half or cutoffs from other jobs. 

Precisely what I was aiming at in my opening post ---  the throat is 2" too narrow for the standard 15" materials !!!!

Frikkin' Chinese engineers, they sometimes really REALLY are nuts.

(Originally I had imagined the Graphtec and Titan models were also this narrow, but I discovered they weren't)

Allright, how do you cut the 24" rolls? With a miter saw?

0c8ef3eb-fc18-498e-ac38-3e363f0b1436_300

Sign vinyl is available in a variety of widths.  Oracal makes most of their products no smaller than 15", but other brands make narrower rolls.  Plus, a lot of crafters use 12" sheets of vinyl, vs. rolls, so for them a cutter that size works OK.

"other brands make narrower rolls."

A-Ha!

There's the answer I wasn't aware of.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/12-Self-Adhesive-Vinyl-hobby-sign-maker-5-rolls-10-ft-ea-Crafter-colors-/181493527655

12"

and

http://www.ebay.com/itm/5-rolls-9-Adhesive-Backed-Vinyl-Sign-Craft-Cutters-Oracal-631-Matte/150803050129

9"

And the 12" sheets, yes, that makes sense.

Now I have the pieces of the puzzle that were missing.

Thanks, folks.

Anyway, I am going to order the MH 14" DEMO unit that's offered by USCUTTER ($170) -- it's portability appeals to me, as it fits into a duffel bag --

VeneziaDuffleBoatGirlLg.jpg

I still wish it was 2" wider, but I can at least now work around it with the narrower-width vinyl that's out there.

Probably I should have looked at that solution before getting indignant about the size not being just 2" bigger so that 15" rolls would fit.

• Like 1

All righty, the DEMO/Refurbished MH mini machine is on the way, and I've already got a few little projects ready and waiting for it.

One of those is to provide local Boy Scout troops some training on how to design a logo with SignBlazerElements and then produce stickers/decals as part of the ART Merit Badge which has the following requirement:

"Design a logo. Share your design with your counselor and explain the significance of your logo. Then, with your parent’s permission and your counselor’s approval, put your logo on Scout equipment, furniture, ceramics, or fabric."

post-21408-0-95698600-1408489817_thumb.j

Now that's a great use for a cutter. Nice to see something done that isn't just about the bottom line

I'm basically out of the sign business, but I really wanted to still fool around with vinyl cutting, and this seemed a good way to 'pay it forward'

A guy in my neighborhood wants to sell his old GeorgieBoy RV, and I think it would be cool to establish a mobile sign maker operation with it and get back into that type of work.

This little cutter seems good to just lug it around with me wherever I go, using it as a "signShop-in-a-box" ---

00S0S_hsYFdX59vHW_600x450.jpg

• Like 1

Yep,I do vinyl  and transfer tape with a miter saw...  and I actually own a miter saw  LOL :rolleyes:

what type of blade do you use in it?

cutting vinyl with my miter saw seems scary, like it would eat up and ruin the roll!

LOL  what ever blade that is in it.,,,,  Finish 100T,  wrap it in transfer tape. 

I have used a rip blade  60T on transfer tape..  Sometimes when the larger rolls(24") get down low they are harder to unwind,  so I cut them and use them for smaller decals

I don't guarantee pretty..

Here ya go