darcshadow

Celtic Tree of Life Lovers

I'm looking for something like this image in vector form. I'm finding tons of photos like this one of jewelry and a few tattoo's and I think I have one that I could probably get a half decent trace from but figured I'd ask here before putting too much work into it.

d262e.jpg

Never mind. Found a good one that I could trace with relative ease and only minor node editing. I think it'll work for what I need.

I've been requested to etch it into acrylic and edge light it. She hasn't decided if she wants it as a sign or a desk stand but she plans to use it as kind of a night light.

Would you mind posting the file when your done?  I'd love to try my hand at etching it as well.

Blast, it is acrylic and I used an air eraser. If you look at it really close the etching is not as uniform as I'd really like but for using an air eraser it turned out really well. I hope to upgrade to a full blast cabinet soon.

Blast, it is acrylic and I used an air eraser. If you look at it really close the etching is not as uniform as I'd really like but for using an air eraser it turned out really well. I hope to upgrade to a full blast cabinet soon.

where are you getting acrylic?   Is that the same as plexiglass?

I've been wanting to go into this more but I don't have a dedicated place away from the car to smooth the edges of glass.  I can't have a garage with glass dust everywhere. 

Yeah, Plexiglass is a trade name for acrylic, like Xerox machine for copy machine. I get it from Lowes or Home Depot. You can't get a very deep etch, so you can't get the multi depth details you can with glass but you can get a good enough etch to glow with edge lighting.

I cut it down with a Radial Arm Saw and a standard saw blade. Get a pretty decent cut, then sand the edges down and flame polish them. I've had pretty good luck so far.

Yeah, Plexiglass is a trade name for plexiglass, like Xerox machine for copy machine. I get it from Lowes or Home Depot. You can't get a very deep etch, so you can't get the multi depth details you can with glass but you can get a good enough etch to glow with edge lighting.

I cut it down with a Radial Arm Saw and a standard saw blade. Get a pretty decent cut, then sand the edges down and flame polish them. I've had pretty good luck so far.

Thanks for the tips!

Just realized I put plexiglass is trade name for plexiglass.  lol Should of been plexiglass is a trade name for acrylic.

Just realized I put plexiglass is trade name for plexiglass.  lol Should of been plexiglass is a trade name for acrylic.

There's so many brands people use in general. Phillips screw driver, Vise Grips, etc.

Darc that came out really nice. Why don't you try it with glass? The fire polish on the plastic is the way to go for a nice edge. Go-c you can look for a small wet belt sand or use some glass polish oil on your belt sander to take care of the dust. Also makes your belts last longer.

Would like to play with glass but don't have the equipment to cut and shape glass.