Sign in to follow this  
mechrisme

US Cutter MH 871--MK2, Deep Inside Cuts

I have owned this machine for over a year and I recently started having issues. I have only used Vinyl Ease vinyl from Amazon. I guess its decent quality. I had no issue cutting any color but recently, it doesn't wanna cut glossy white, I can cut a large decal around 12x12 but it has problems cutting the insides of 1.5 block letters. Now it will only cut simple decals and will cut deeper into the inside of letters. I have tried a new blade, barely have the blade sticking out, 10 grams of pressure and the speed is all the way down. I am unsure what cause this problem that just popped up. I have also tweaked with the blade offset in SCAL3 which helped some but it seemed to of like gotten worse. I havent tried after I reset the settings in the software but I have oiled the guides and blade holder. 

post-87838-0-03204500-1407975211_thumb.j

Some colors are thinner than others,, make sure that you do a test cut first.with the test function on your cutter.    And it looks like too much blade.  Also after getting into the adhesive,  now clean your blade off with alcohol.

Correct way to set your blade depth 

To start with, you should set your blade depth correctly, by taking the blade holder out of the machine, and firmly cut across a piece of scrap vinyl, you will be cutting. You should only be cutting the vinyl and barely a mark on wax paper backing, Adjust blade to get there, Then put the blade holder back in machine, and use the force of the machine to get there, same results, only cutting the vinyl and barely a mark in wax paper backing.

Also,  Since you've had it over a year now you might want to look into getting a new cutting strip.  

If you're anything like me you've had a few opps moments where you had blade to cutting strip contact.  

This can mess up things also.  

I had a problem similar to this and found the blade was in dire need of replacement, installed a new Clean Cut blade and adjusted and problems were gone.

Donn

Well I took apart the blade holder and cleaned it all. The cutting strip isn't original, the first one wasn't fully attached so they sent me a replacement and it had no sticky side so I used rubber cement to attach it. I did order another cutting strip thought, I barely have the blade sticking out and using like medium pressure by hand, it barely marks the backing. I moved the vinyl to the other side of the machine but it worked better kinda.

I just wonder what causes it to cut the insides of letters out deeper on almost every cut to where it will lift from the backing which doesn't always help out.

Is it only this 1 file or all the time? Watch it cut and make sure it's not cutting the insides twice.

• Like 1

I just wonder what causes it to cut the insides of letters out deeper on almost every cut to where it will lift from the backing which doesn't always help out.

usually it isn't cutting deeper it is the blade too far out not pivoting as well pulling up the insides and corners

I would clean out the blade holder to make sure there is nothing inside the blade holder, keeping it from doing a rotation, i have a MH871 have had it close to 10 years and still works like it did the day i got it, i use it now just for Heat press and sign vinyl ,and use my other cutters for Templates and such.

it does that with most images, from small to large, when I test the blade before I install it, I am unsure how much pressure I should apply when I am testing it on vinyl

What should i use to attach the new cutting strip down with