Tyson0317

Vinyl Application Question

This isn't so much a question about the cutter, but rather an application technique.

I have a graphic that is 32ft long by 3ft wide and I am not sure how to go about sticking it on. For smaller stuff, I have been using the butterfly method as seen on youtube, but I cannot find any howto information regarding something this size. I could cut it into manageable chunks, but given that it is one continuous pattern, I am worried about being able to align the pieces afterwards. Luckily, the surface is rather simple and without obstructions, protrusions or other stuff to work around.

This is the first time that I have done anything this size. Matter of fact, I have not put the transfer tape on the vinyl yet because I am not sure how best to approach putting it on flat and even. 

Ideas?

Is it one line of copy 3ft high or multiple lines of copy? I would cut into lengths that could be easily handled by one person and lay out the substrate with lines to keep all copy straight. This is assuming that you are installing to an existing structure.

• Like 1

Its a wave pattern going on the side of a boat. Very curvy and a misalignment of even 1/8" will be noticeable. Wet makes me concerned - I tried it once and even though a squeegeed hard and all over, some of the vinyl lost it's adhesive properties. It was a test piece and 2 weeks later its still on, but peeling. Not sure what I did wrong there. Cleaned surface with SimpleGreen first. Added a drop of dish soap to the quart of water, as recommended... I've done a bunch of graphics since without the wet method and did OK. Just something this size is a bit challenging. 

I usually always do a wet install with any lettering / graphics on vehicles.  My routine is to clean with rubbing alcohol first (i have a spray bottle filled with it).  

Next i clean with Rapid Prep to remove any grease, wax, etc...  Then i clean with rubbing alcohol again.  I do all of my wet installs with Rapid Tac or Rapid Tac 2. I usually only use Rapid Tac 2 if its cold or very humid.

I have never used the homemade application fluid solution, I tried using Splash application fluid and personally had a very difficult time with it.  Then i  tried Rapid Tac products and they have worked great for me so far.

I order Rapid Tac products from Beacon Graphics since USCutter does not carry them... I wish they did.

You might want to give them a shot.  Good luck on your project. 

• Like 1

Its a wave pattern going on the side of a boat. Very curvy and a misalignment of even 1/8" will be noticeable. Wet makes me concerned - I tried it once and even though a squeegeed hard and all over, some of the vinyl lost it's adhesive properties. It was a test piece and 2 weeks later its still on, but peeling. Not sure what I did wrong there. Cleaned surface with SimpleGreen first. Added a drop of dish soap to the quart of water, as recommended... I've done a bunch of graphics since without the wet method and did OK. Just something this size is a bit challenging. 

Get a professional to install it?

• Like 2

With wet application, one of the problems that I had was that the vinyl would not stick to the surface and thus I could not easily pull the transfer tape off. I am using medium-tack transfer tape. Is there a trick I am missing, or do I need to buy a roll of low tack tape? 

Plastic. Thing is, I am worried that if I go with low tack, it will not cleanly peel the vinyl from the wax paper roll. As is, the medium stuff often does not pick up little bits and I have to 'help it' which sometimes causes misalignment. 

Plastic tape + Wet install = Disaster.  The liquid will never evaporate enough to allow the vinyl to adhere under plastic tape.  Trust me - I know.

If you're having problems with getting small pieces to pick up off of the liner/backing (which, by the way, is not wax paper but a clay coated paper) then you really need to practice more before you try a 32 ft long job.   I've been doing this for a couple of years and jobs that big still make me nervous.

Most of us here highly recommend the RTape 4075 or 4076-RLA (my favorite) for applications wet or dry.

Trust me, I'm a tightwad by nature and have tried ever cheaper brand or option and have found that the small additional cost for quality vinyl and quality tapes more than makes up for itself with the reduced amount of waste generated by trying to get cheap materials to do the work of quality materials.

Get yourself a nice roll of Oracal 751 or 951 and couple that with a roll of 4076-RLA tape and a bottle of name brand application fluid (I like RapidTac II, but the Splash I got free with my cutter package works well, too), and you'll be unstoppable.

RapidTac and paper tape all the way.

The trick with the paper tape and a wet instal is once the graphic is applied and squeegeed and you're ready to remove the tape, spray the entire piece of tape with the rapid tack again, and rub it all over with your hands. This will help the tape release from the graphic, and the tape will almost fall off. You'll start to see the tape wrinkle and pull away around the edges of the cut graphic.

That's the trick to wet instals and why you need to use paper tape.

Edit: Also, this is where you really need to make sure your cutter is set up properly. if you cut into your backing too much, you'll end up "skinning" the liner, I.E. you'll have the liner stuck to the adhesive of the graphic, making an already difficult job, a living nightmare. Nothing worse than trying to separate the fuzzy leftovers of a separated liner from the adhesive side. Almost guaranteed to get some fuzzies stuck to the back and then you'll have a bump in the graphic that will never come out.

• Like 2