Sign in to follow this  
ewen.jamie

Which Transfer tape for Oracal 631

So I am mainly going to use Oracal 631 matte vinyl.  My substrates will be mainly painted wood boards and interior walls.  Does it make a difference which type of transfer tape i use with this specific type of vinyl and application?  Clear or masking tape type?  A certain degree of "stickyness"?  Love being able to have this forum to ask dumb questions like this!

medium tack should be ok as a general rule of thumb. i use a higher tack for very small or intricate detailed cutting.  good luck with your projects and post some pics,  daniel t

One thing I have found with the 631 is that the application tape does not stick as well to the matte surface.

You want a little tackier tape with the matte finish than you do with glossy vinyl.

I know this thread is almost a year old but I discovered how to make any transfer tape work with oracal 631. All you have to do is

apply your transfer tape like you normally would do but after you do that you run it thru a heat laminator - you can just use a cheap one

they sell at office supply stores, you may have to run it thru a few times but it works like a charm. The vinyl sticks to the tape much better

when its heated. I haven't tried it but I'm sure a clothes iron on low heat would work as well.

Oracal's color guide has a note that recommends using Oracal Oratape HT55 with Oracal 631.

How many posts about what tape for 631 do we need lol  ;)

^ I can tell you I've tried 4 or 5 different types and none of them work for me.

I'd call oracal and ask whats up

^ I can tell you I've tried 4 or 5 different types and none of them work for me.

I'd call oracal and ask whats up

Oracal sent me over a 10yrd roll of Oracal HT-55... and I have R-Tape AT-60 coming in on friday. I'll do a video review of the tapes and Oracal 631. The problem seems to be (for me) that I'm cutting into the backing because 631 is coming off with the backing when I apply the tape. It's a huge science of getting everything perfect. I would recommend people to first do small test-cuts and also, don't risk doing a huge cut right away. You want to make sure all components work before you waste vinyl. And Vinyl = $$$...