mactube

What kind of error ? Mistake is this?

Hi, I'm posting my problem here because I don't now if this is a problem of a to fine Graphic ( which I don't think because I cut fine details before ) , or the actually cutter .. maybe not enough pressure .. ( the blade is fairly new / about 15 design cuts ( not sure how long these blades last, or a problem with the  Vinyl since this

its pretty hot today ( maybe the backing doesn't stick to good today at higher temperatures but then again there is not direct sun influence on the vinyl ).

Please view the pictures :

http://i1267.photobucket.com/albums/jj558/mactube/test%20cut/88467DD7-DA2F-4F7E-B149-5CBBBE416F6E.jpg

http://i1267.photobucket.com/albums/jj558/mactube/test%20cut/6b553cde-7616-42f5-8950-fc88e1de882d.jpg

I have a lot of problems weeding out my letters ... about 20% come of the backing material.

I just don't have a lot of experience yet.. these are still some of my first cuts, I have cut out a similar Graphic with my SC Cutter with the settings 300 Speed 27g pressure ( using the red blade which came with the cutter)

Looking forward to some helpful infos...

post-63423-0-27495300-1407719659_thumb.j

post-63423-0-52931100-1407719669_thumb.j

I keep a knife handy and carefully cut the areas that are tagging and hanging up.  Just go slow until you find out what is causing it.  Mine does that sometimes too.  I like the font!

Suzanne

Little bit more pressure. looks like 3m Vinyl.

I would try less blade and then add some over cut in your software. You should barely see a mark on the backing paper. Slow the cutter down some if needed.

@suz 1234 def. not possible I can't even see where the Vinyl is not cut properly if that should be the case ( even though I don't think so because I can see the imprint of the cut on the backing paper ( will still try to add more pressure though) 

@djque  what do you mean by 3m Vinyl ? Is that the thickness ?

@kysign what do you mean by over cut ? 

• Like 1

3m is a brand of premium vinyl like oracal - 
overcut is a feature in some software like flexi and scalp that allows the blade to cut a bit further than the end of the design (start over a bit) to cut any left over tails that don't get cut - usually a problem on stepper motor cutters) 

A couple of thoughts:

Make sure the blade holder is seated properly.

Make sure there is nothing inside the blade holder such as spec's of vinyl

Make sure the tip is still on the end of you blade.

It looks like there is to much blade you may want to try backing it off.

• Like 1

As for the 3M comment last sample I had in white cut like what you are showing. Don't know why it did that but never had it happen with oracal or avery. Also appears to be a hair to much blade sticking out.

Ok, so I'm sorry to say that it was really the Vinyl ( Oracal 751) matt , it kind of feels like its very thin and week like paper  compared to oracle ( 651) which feels a lot thicker and more like Rubber ( real Vinyl) 

I also

- changed the font slightly to a font without the very thin parts. 

- slowed the cutter down from 300 to 200 

- increased the pressure from 25 to 38 

So at this point no need to change the blade or blade length.

I could practically rip off the access vinyl  

Check it out: 

http://i1267.photobucket.com/albums/jj558/mactube/test%20cut/465A4048-F8D6-4D30-B880-86455AA8426A.jpg

http://i1267.photobucket.com/albums/jj558/mactube/test%20cut/78865889-DC84-441C-B4EA-ED79F3809A89.jpg

... just wanted to let everybody know what the problem was.. 

I'm glad you got it sorted but I would play around with blade depth the next time you change your blade. It could just be the picture but It looks like a deep indentation on the backing paper where the e has been pulled off. You should barely see a mark. If you are cutting too deep the adhesive can get pushed into the indentations and your customer will have problems removing and tearing the backing. 651 and 751 should cut like butter unless they are old or stored incorrectly. Best of luck.

@KYSIGN I see somebody knows what he is talking about .. 

now that it cuts/weeds perfectly with the 651vinyl and my T-Shirt Vinyl .. I'm just gonna leave everything like it is. 

But I just tried out the 751 Vinyl just so see if it it improved a little bit with my graphic and wedding adjustments .. 

here the results.. 

( even worse..) : 

http://i1267.photobucket.com/albums/jj558/mactube/test%20cut/248644A2-254D-4DDE-BA18-A855F39AEE9D.jpg

http://i1267.photobucket.com/albums/jj558/mactube/test%20cut/7FBE81C2-F64B-4B58-9D66-5F6FF4C1B580.jpg

The Vinyl is about 1 year old ... and also in some areas not very even .. not wrinkled but a little uneven from taking it in and out of the cutter.. this might have caused the vinyl to come up/off in the cutting process but 

that should not effect the vinyl when removing the excess . And it's not very hot today so it wont be the temperature .. letters come right off along with the excess vinyl . 

• Like 1

I know from my own experiences  and same mistakes of using too much blade... It can be amazing how the smallest adjustments to blade depth can make a huge difference when it comes to weeding.  Too much blade can turn all weeding into a nightmare.

Eventually I thought i had the blade depth set right because everything was easy to weed.  BUT i was still using too much...  I found this out when applying decals.  The backing paper will start to rip away and come up with the decal you are working with, usually the same perfect shape of your decal which makes it a pain to apply.  I had to take an exacto knife and carefully peel the torn backing paper off.  Especially watch out for that when you are selling decals for your customers to apply!

You don't want to hand defective decals off to customers like that.  I almost made that mistake selling ready to apply decals, but luckily i tested a few before i sold them.  In fact that also happened on my first lettering job with 751, i had cut the vinyl too deep... so then i had to carefully to peel the ripped backing paper from the decal, while still trying not to look like an idiot in front of the client.  In the end i did look like an idiot, cause i ended up having to redo one door (it wasn't perfectly straight).  I just let those feelings roll off, cause i still felt pretty good since it was my first job.  We did 2 trucks that day, and man it gets old real fast when the backing paper tears like that on each letter your trying to apply....  You will learn a lot more as you go.  This is how i ended up learning just how much thinner 751 is than 651.

Too much blade is also why your 751 is being lifted off the carrier in your pictures.  751 has a shelf life of 2 years so it should still be good.  Eventually you just kind of get the hang on exactly how to find the right blade depth.  It does make it even harder when so many had said the rule of half a credit card thickness, which is a very bad way to set the depth.  Each material will be different.

Good luck and just keep going.  I have wasted a bunch of vinyl on mistakes, and still sometimes do, but i know i am learning more and getting better everyday.

• Like 2

It's hard to get the value cutters dialed in but they can make you enough money to upgrade. I started with a MH-721 and had several tough days but eventually got the blade depth, pressure and overcut correct. I even made a collar that slipped around the blade holder so I could get the holder the same height in the carriage every time. I think I used .08 or .04 for my overcut and it made weeding so much easier I couldn't believe it. I tried to take a picture of my backing paper but I can't even see the line with my camera and it looks unscathed.

• Like 1

also if your using them cheap ebay blades that could be the issue. I was having that with the mh 721 and the laserpoint 1. then i switched to cleancut and all of that went away. The vinyl was lifting alot when I cut with them. Now on my graphtec every blade I own is a cleancut and I just ordered 5 more just for stock. also what blade are you using 45 or 60* and what is you blade offset set to.

I have 3m that is just like the oracal 751 backing and I was getting that same problem you got but when I changed the pressure and made sure my offset was right it got better. but adding the cleancut took it all away.

@ mactube I see your in La also. Funny Im one of the main Video Dj out here. I started all the video dj's out here lol. well known by all dj's lol. DJ Que..

I dj at lots of functions.

@Jarrotto thanks for the advice for now I'm using the the 651 which works fine. If I experience more problems with any other vinyl, the first think I will do is adjust the blade. 

@KYSIGN  I just use the Cutter for my own business uses so I don't have any customers .. I'm actually fascinated how good, detailed and fast the cutters is except for my little problems with the 651 Vinyl.. 

Wow you made a collar for the blade holder to always have the same depth of the blade.. I wonder how you did that .. you should put up a tutorial or picture .. I'm sure that interests a lot of people ! 

I still haven't found over cut in SCALP  ... 

@djque I'm still using the blade ( red cap)  which came with the SC cutter . I wonder how long they last ? With off set you mean the pressure setting ? I'm using 38g now..

@djque .. just checked out your web site.. will DM you now  for all my details..

http://forum.surecutsalot.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=33512 for over cut.

The collar was made of PVC or ABS pipe and about the thickness of a few pennies. It looked like a ring for your finger. I would put the ring around my blade holder. It just allowed me to make sure the blade holder was at the same height each time. If I went by the collar on the holder it wasn't raised far enough off the vinyl and would scratch or cut the decal frequently.

I used that cutter for pen plotting after I upgraded and misplaced the ring. It was simple yet effective.

@KY oh ok .. at the SC Cutter the blade holder slides into a notch so it will always be in the same spot/hight I guess it just gets complicated to find out how far the blade really sticks out with the adjustment of the top screw..

Since everything is working out find with my cutter settings and vinyl selections .. I only have one big problem !!.... 

I mainly produce stickers ( for out doors ) which should stick on any kind of underground , that a sticker usually would stick on . 

The problem is .. the vinyl would probably stick, but the application tape is so strong it pulls the vinyl right back off the surface ( which might not be the smoothest or cleanest but a regular sticker would def. stick there) 

I'm using 

GreenStar Layflat Classic Transfer Tape - Medium Tack - Assorted Widths

GreenStar Layflat Clear Transfer Tape - High Tack - Assorted Widths 

Can somebody recommend a less strong application tape or another tip.. !?

Try a low tack version of the type you have and like best. Don't stack them or use anything heavy to flatten them if they curl.