Hi,

hst somebody hooked up a SC or other Cutter to an Airport Express in order to cut wireless like with a regular USB Printer 

which can just be plugged up in the USB hub of the Apple Airport Express and then accept the print job via wifi . ( When the Mac is on the wifi - network of the airport express? 

I can cut without problem with the USB cable plugged in my Mac ( the SC cutter will not show up in the printer list in the System Preferences / Printers and Scanners , but will still cut without problems.

Now when I try the same with the usb cable plugged up in the Airport Express, it will tell me that the SC Cutter is not connected. 

Yeah well the people couldn't get it done so far or al least didn't write about it.. 

Hopefully this post will be a new encouragement for some people to get back on the subject, since most Vinyl Cutters are so big, that in most cases you have to put them in a place where you not necessarily have your computer and .. we all hate visible cables.. don't we..

If you really want a plotter with this capability you could upgrade to a FC with Ethernet.

Maybe you can get some other type of wireless print server to work but I don't think it will be as reliable as a direct connection.

Hopefully you can get it to work, I wish you the best of luck.

As I understand it the AirPort USB connection is for printing only and not a full implementation of USB protocol. You might try a wireless USB hub that supports the full protocol such as something like this from IOGEAR, http://www.iogear.com/product/GUWIP204/.

Another option would be to get a cheap computer with a wireless card in it and put it next to the plotter then just remote into the computer to send your cut jobs to the plotter.

• Like 1

Just wanted to add my reply in here to say that the IOGear USB Hub posted above does not work with the USCutter MH Series. My computer sees the cutter, and lists it in the Devices and Printers, but there is no response from the cutter when I send it jobs.

I like to 'babysit' my cutter when it's working a job.

I'm right there at the unit, loading vinyl, aligning and pre-feeding, pressing various buttons on the control panel, and then verifying that the carriage head is set in the right position. Then, when the job is done, I'll cut the vinyl away, and reload for the next color (or next portion).

It's a process that involves both the cutter and the computer, in sync, side-by-side.

Having it running unattended in a remote location would not suit me, at all.

Reviving an old post huh? IMO if you have that far to travel then you will be making many many trips because it's really rare to just load up some vinyl and cut job after job from the same roll. Colors change, you need to cut it off, etc.... Not to mention that with a value cutter as the OP has/had from this thread you might want to be hanging out like Slice said to be ready with the ABORT! button when something goes south. 

I wouldn't mind a wireless option. I don't have the cutter very far from the computer, but it's far enough that I can't hide the cables and have to disconnect them when done so I don't trip/roll over them.

Update: got it working with the IOGear USB sharing hub after all. Not sure what the issue was, or exactly what fixed it. I think it had something to do with removing the cutter from the list in Sure Cuts A Lot 4, then putting it back in.

My business' main work isn't working with vinyl. We got it mainly to do our own signage around the shop, and do occasional jobs for customers that specifically request it, so investing in a nicer cutter isn't worthwhile. The cutter is only 20-25ft away, so it's not going unattended.  I just got tired of having to wheel it out and plug it in via USB directly every time I wanted to use it.

I wouldn't mind a wireless option. I don't have the cutter very far from the computer, but it's far enough that I can't hide the cables and have to disconnect them when done so I don't trip/roll over them.

Same issue here... The most convenient spot for my cutter is on the other side of the studio where I  tape and weed.

I'm right here with it when cutting but would rather not have to roll it out and handle the cords every time.

Would love to just send the file wirelessly from the computer desk.

Tell us more yaytech... as in what specific gear we need if we wanted to give it a try ourselves.

Another option may be an USB extender. There are devices that convert USB to a CAT5 cable and then back to USB. Using products such as these USB can be extended to 300'. With 300' option that'd give you plenty of wire to run around the room along the walls or even into the wall and back down the other side of the room. If you google USB extender you can find these devices for as little as $25.

• Like 1