Sign in to follow this  
mac6986

White ink - Roland

I know this is a real long shot, as white ink is relatively new, but does anyone else here have a Roland printer with white ink and have actually printed jobs with it?

I need to pick someones brain with a problem I'm having with overprinting white.

cutme (or stickermonster - can't remember what he goes by on each forum)  has one but he hasn't been on the forum for over a year I think

I had a couple print shops do some test prints with white ink.  One was on a Roland, and the other a Mimaki.  Neither one had any opacity.  I had them print on clear vinyl to produce decals.  As soon as you put the decal on a dark surface or helmet you can't tell the white was even there.  Also, the white didn't really improve the opacity of the other colors either when used as a base print.  A blue decal on a yellow helmet turned green.  You have to go thermal to print white on clear, if that's what you're doing.  You need a Gerber edge, or Summa DC4. 

I had a couple print shops do some test prints with white ink.  One was on a Roland, and the other a Mimaki.  Neither one had any opacity.  I had them print on clear vinyl to produce decals.  As soon as you put the decal on a dark surface or helmet you can't tell the white was even there.  Also, the white didn't really improve the opacity of the other colors either when used as a base print.  A blue decal on a yellow helmet turned green.  You have to go thermal to print white on clear, if that's what you're doing.  You need a Gerber edge, or Summa DC4. 

I have the New VS-300i, I was able to get the desired opacity by jacking up the ink limit in the media profile, and over-printing twice. Customer was happy with the sample, I was awarded the job.

The problem they are going to run into is the specialty vinyl I was required to use will deteriorate before the print will. I tried to explain, but I guess they know better.

I've only been printing and cutting vinyl every day of my life for the past 8 years, what do I know, lol :rolleyes: