Sign in to follow this  
efimage

Big Squeegee Cut Vinyl tool question / help

I just picked up the Big Squeegee Cut Vinyl tool. Mainly for applying app tape. I tried it out for the first time last night and it worked great. No bubbles super easy to use.  I just went down to the basement where my work area is and all the decals I used it on last night where curled and some of the bigger ones had some tunneling.  Now my basement is humid and my humidifier was shut off (because I needed to empty it) but all the decals sitting on the same table from the previous night where fine and flat. Everything was from the same roll of Oracal 651 and the I was using AT65 for the app tape. I did go over all decals with a normal squeegee as they suggested in the videos.

Anybody have any suggestions or Ideas as to what I am doing wrong?

****Quick Update I had 2 decals from last night masked with the big squeegee that where not in the basement and are not curled.  This is only a observation from one night but why would vinyl that is masked with the big squeegee be affected by humidity compared to applying app tape the regular method

My vinyl and app tape can get messed up pretty fast if the a/c is not running. The humidity here sucks and really takes it's toll on supplies. That's probably the culprit or at least part of the problem.

App tape contracting more than the vinyl due to temp/humidity changes from the time of application.

I would suggest switching to paper tape.

• Like 1

i only use paper tape with the big squeegee  my house is at about 74 at all times.. I have no problem! 

Make sure the first few inches of the transfer are on the table flat with no wrinkles !

The humidity was 80% in the basement the last 2 days compared to 55% upstairs. When my dehumidifiers are working correctly the basement is kept around 65%.  We have a sump pump down there that usually has water in it which adds to the problem.  I also tried the big Squeegee with some Conform 4076 RLA high tack which also curled up..

The only thing I keep in the basement are my cutting/mounting tables and app tape. I think I will bring all my completed jobs upstairs from now on just in case I have any more dehumidifier issues.

Does anybody have any issue using paper tape for ready to apply decals or decals they sell online? So far I have been using AT65 .

post-86774-0-76060400-1407419375_thumb.j

Clear choice or any of the clear tapes are more likely to give you fits. Paper tape is far superior for almost every application. I sell some small stuff to local crafters with AT65 because they like to be able to see through it for their application but I have never had anyone complain when I sent them paper tape, it's pretty standard. I am out in the west and don't deal with the high humidity so I guess I can count my blessings. 

I wouldn't keep your app tape in the basement. It will be adjusting to the humidity in the basement and when you take your masked graphics up stairs and they dry out, I think you'll end up with the same problem.

as far as customer problems go, Every once in a blue moon, you get someone who emails you and asks "Why is there masking tape on my sticker?"

:rolleyes: Mind you they never looked at the instructions I include with the shipment.