darcshadow

Edge Lit Sign

Made this for a friend. Was originally just going to do the logo but I thought it'd look even better if I could put his bike on it. Wasn't sure how well the bike would look fully etched and lit so I made the bike vinyl and etched the edge so that it would have a halo type glow when on. I think it came out really well and looks even better in person.

post-25571-0-27608500-1407373857_thumb.j

post-25571-0-89216000-1407373866_thumb.j

• Like 7

You are so creative!  Love your work.  How are you lighting the back?  Did you etch before or after the vinyl?

Looks good. I never thought of using vinyl on the front lke that.

You are so creative!  Love your work.  How are you lighting the back?  Did you etch before or after the vinyl?

Thanks. It is edge lit with some strip LEDs. The vinyl was put on before and it was used as my etch mask, I just didn't pull off the bike portion when I was done etching. If you look at the back side you can see where the vinyl isn't shiny anymore from the blasting process but it looks good from the front and that's all that matters.

Made another one of these for another guy in the motorcycle club that also rides a 675. He wanted a full frame which allowed me to then put LEDs all around it. I'm not as happy with the frame as I would like but the overall sign turned out really well.

post-25571-0-01035800-1413045293_thumb.j

• Like 4

Wife got me a powder coating gun for my birthday and I finally got around to doing something with it. Made a frame with some aluminum u channel for another edge lit sign I made for a friend who is a big VW guy.

post-25571-0-92612700-1425394644_thumb.j

post-25571-0-67060100-1425394645_thumb.j

• Like 1

Did this one for another guy in the motorcycle club, too much light in the photo and was not running it at the full 12V at the time so the glow is a bit dim.

post-25571-0-57249500-1425394841_thumb.j

super nice work - poor fella though on the vw fan - just got ours back again yesterday - VW  - 4 wheels and a seat that you constantly pour money into to make it move down the road.  it now had more towing miles on it that all of my other cars in the last 37 years combined :( . . . in 1 year 5 months

• Like 1

Thank. The guy is in the process of restoring an old Super Bug. So currently he's pouring lots of money into it and doesn't even havr a seat to sit in yet.  ha!

I may have to inquiry about one of these.  They are just too awesome to pass up!

That stuff is just too nice!

Cal

Looks awesome, I'd love to see how the lights are laid out and what type of lights.

Man, Thats just cool!!!!

• Like 1

The lights are simple 3528 LED light strips that I get from lightingEver, have also seen them at good prices on amazon. They are powered by a 12V supply. Only thing I'm not real happy with is the fact that I can not find aluminum U channel narrow enough, there is a gap between the back side of the acrylic and the back of the frame. Not a huge deal since it's on the back, but rather annoying to me none the less.

• Like 1

Thank. The guy is in the process of restoring an old Super Bug. So currently he's pouring lots of money into it and doesn't even havr a seat to sit in yet.  ha!

cool project - ours has heated leather seats - now if we could just keep it on the road and out of the shop

darc try sourcing the U channel online? try speedy metal or get an aluminum bender and make your own. Its a little pricey at the beginning but imagine the possibilities Seriously imagine them I'm not gonna do it for ya lol

Wife got me a powder coating gun for my birthday and I finally got around to doing something with it. Made a frame with some aluminum u channel for another edge lit sign I made for a friend who is a big VW guy.

I loved this the most... Very beautiful.

Can you please please tell what you used for the Design itself? Also on the LED wiring paths.

Thanks

The image is the Wolfsburg Coat of Arms. Wolfsburg is home to the Volkswagen AG's headquarters and the biggest car plant in the world.

The LEDs are simple LED Strip lights that I got from lightingever.com. Just connect them to a 12V PSU and you're good to go.

I saw somewhere on the internet they power them by a 9v battery so people don't have to see the wires but of course when looking for it I can't find the site.

I tried that. The LEDs do light up with a 9V battery, but not for very long. After about 30min you see a very noticeable drop in brightness. I picked up a double AA battery holder that holds 8 batteries, it'll get me the necessary 12V and should be able to power my signs for several hours before brightness drops.