Ravenwind / One Off Grafx

Roland VersaCAMM SP-300V Printer/Cutter

Looking to buy one of these. Anyone on here have one? How well do they work over time? also thought about a BN-20 but the cost is a bit too high. Wanting to start out slow maybe magnets, htv, and printed decals/ signs. Also looking at getting a OKI 610n to help with the t shirt transfers. Toss your opinions down here good or bad I would love to hear them.

I have a sp-300v - dumping $1K in parts this week again.   just yearly maint,  stuff

• Like 1

I would recommend it. I'm a little bias though, I'm on my second printer, both of them Rolands. I've had no complaints.

I started with the BN20, good machine to get your feet wet, but once you start offering printed graphics to your customers, you'll find out real quick that this particular printer was not built for any kind of production speed. From print speed to cut speed, it's slower than molasses in winter.

Once I moved into a large enough space, I spent the money and got a brand new versacamm VS-300i. Oh man, I wish I hadn't waited as long as I did to upgrade. My niche is small decals ( under 5") and reflective graphics for emergency vehicles. This machine is more than enough for me.

The versacamm is a great all in one printer. If your print demand increases ( which it most likely will) couple it with a gx300 cutter, and you can let the printer print off specific lengths of material, and while that's going on, you can take the finished prints, laminate them, and cut them separately, saving you tons of time. I've seen them all over the net used, you can pick them up for anywhere between $5-8k.

Now the other side of the coin. These machines need about as much attention as small child would. They need to be fed properly (OEM inks highly recommended) and cleaned on a regular basis. These things also don't like to sit around with nothing to do, you need to print things off regularly to keep the ink from getting stagnant in the lines, dampers, & heads. You can't just print on any old vinyl, you need to buy the proper solvent printable vinyl. Some jobs will require you to laminate, there's more material and another machine. Some people use a big squeegee, there's too much "silvering" when I use a BS, I personally would recommend a hand crank or electric cold roll laminator.

The upfront cost will be more than just the purchase cost of the printer. Keep that in mind while window shopping.

• Like 2

I spent 3 hours today fighting with a desktop epson. You can keep those solvent printers and I'll keep subbing print jobs, way less stress that way.

• Like 2

How are they for running banners? seem to be getting more and more of them.

This printer has a seperate print spread and speed just for banners. at its highest speed, you can print up to 70 sq/ft per hr. On a 30" model, thats just under 6 linear inches per minute at the full 30" material width.

Tthe higher the speed, the lower the quality though, but for roadside banners, and banners strung up high, crystal clear, razor sharp images are not always needed. just get yourself some hemming tape, and a grommet machine and you're set.

• Like 1

part "A" - the new encoder strip and sensor installed - there went a quick $311 . . . yup oem roland parts

I bought this printer used a couple years ago - this fall it will be time for a new head too - $850