Vermonster

Sign Substrate Options

Have a customer wanting a sign made for their business and I'm researching some substrate options.

I don't have much info other than it's going to be outside. (Non lit more than likely)

Anyone have any ideas for the materials and construction based on their personal experiences? (NNot just Google searching)

Use a brand of aluminum composite panel - Max-Metal or Aluma Cor, and a cast vinyl such as 751.

Thanks for the suggestions! Have either of you used these?

I'm guessing you could mount it to plywood and build a frame with 4x4 if they want it freestanding. Maybe mounted to 1/4" painted plywood and use lag bolts for a wall mount?

I have not used this type of sign yet.  My understanding is you can mount it to the posts and use aluminum u brackets on the corners, and center brackets on the brace above or below the sign.  You should not have to use plywood behind the substrate.

Maybe someone else will chime in who has more experience in this area.

post-78889-0-80518200-1407252781_thumb.j

post-78889-0-40099100-1407252782_thumb.j

What size? I really like 080 aluminum with white baked on enamel paint and 751 cast vinyl. I buy the blanks without holes for easier vinyl placement and then drill the holes myself.

I have not used this type of sign yet.  My understanding is you can mount it to the posts and use aluminum u brackets on the corners, and center brackets on the brace above or below the sign.  You should not have to use plywood behind the substrate.

Maybe someone else will chime in who has more experience in this area.

I guess I was thinking the plywood backing would offer some support (if mounted to 4x4's in the ground).

What size? I really like 080 aluminum with white baked on enamel paint and 751 cast vinyl. I buy the blanks without holes for easier vinyl placement and then drill the holes myself.

Hey Bud - Not sure of the size just yet.  Supposed to go over towards the end of the week (She's moving into the store now) so I wanted to give her some time before I asked her for money :)  lol 

Where do you order them from?

G R I M C O

I used to basically make 90% of all my signs using the MaxMetal, and it's available in colors (remember, however, the colors are different on each side  ---   Red/Yellow  Blue/Green)  Also, if it's a single side sign (against a wall, for instance) you can use the less-expensive crisp white with mill-finish raw backing.

You'll be able to literally cut it with a utility knife, by scoring through one side of the aluminum laminate with a few passes and then snapping the piece(s) off.

(your knife blade will dull each time, but they're dirt cheap anyway when purchased 50 at a time)

I used the MaxMetal for H-Frame inserts all the time (2'x3') --  a 4'x8' sheet will yield 5 and the scrap (drop) piece (1'x2') is delightful for any sort of small sign (mainly I used them for wayfinder signs).

I use a product called E-panel that is a competitor of Diabond. Both are good outdoor substrates. Diabond is tougher if you need it to bend or take a hit. If it's up in a safe place the cheaper epanel has served me well and is about half the weight of aluminum. I buy mine with white base color. They have some other color options I think. You will have to find it at a local supply house for it to an affordable option in 4'x8' sheets. If I am doing a standing sign (on posts) I use MDO signboard but it is more temporary in lifespan. 

if you're looking for something with depth, you keep mentioning backing it with plywood, use painted MDO.

lasts long time, looks good and is cost effective.

You can get MDO unfinished from your local lumber yard, prime and paint it yourself. and then graphic with oracal 751.

I have used the maxmetal 4' x 8' sheet for signs.  Mounted to 4" x 4" posts.  Looks great!  Holds up well too.  The customer has a "crew" on staff so he had them do the frame for the sign.  They used 2 4" x 4" posts for the sides.  Then measured down 4' and put a horizontal 2" x 4" to rest the sign on... then a 2" x 4" cap.  Then they trimmed out both sides around the edge of the sign with 1/4" (or maybe 1/2") round molding to hold it in place.  Holds up to winds just fine.

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="xpaperman" data-cid="367295" data-time="1407279553"><p>

I have used the maxmetal 4' x 8' sheet for signs. Mounted to 4" x 4" posts. Looks great! Holds up well too. The customer has a "crew" on staff so he had them do the frame for the sign. They used 2 4" x 4" posts for the sides. Then measured down 4' and put a horizontal 2" x 4" to rest the sign on... then a 2" x 4" cap. Then they trimmed out both sides around the edge of the sign with 1/4" (or maybe 1/2") round molding to hold it in place. Holds up to winds just fine.</p></blockquote>

That's exactly how I do most of mine

• Like 1