Sue2

They broke into our shop...

I teach a CCW class and one of the questions I ask. Would you shoot someone for stealing your toaster ?

If that toaster was in my home yes. If it were if in the immediate area surrounding my home only if I felt my life was in danger. Down here once you break in while I'm home it's a home invasion and I have the right to assume they intend to harm me.

• Like 2

What if your life were not in danger is my follow up question

• Like 1

Every state is different. And all I have to do in SC is show I FELT my life was in danger. Actual danger is irrelevant just whether you reasonably felt in danger. After the last time I the hit my home shop I had a talk with my neighbors because everybody but me are family out there and explained how  I'd handle the situation if I caught them. No problems since then I guess they decided the risk didn't justify the reward. I know that most states laws (except maybe Georgia and Florida) don't give nearly as much latitude with the use of deadly force so this doesn't apply to everyone and before anyone says I'm full of crap I have been instructed by a retired officer and 2 local deputies on where I stand on this because I really don't want to go to prison for crossing the line.

HDN you're in NY right? I thought they took all your guns and gave you guys safety whistles to stop the bad guys.

• Like 1

I think you will find it is a whole different story when you are standing there with a gun pointed back at you - even simulations will get the adrenaline pumping.  did a simulation once with real guns on stopping a vehicle - recording the whole time, when the person broke a window in the other chase vehicle after repeated orders to stop, when they reached inside for the rifle I thought i shot one round to stop them - replay showed 3 rounds.  Needless to say they did not get the rifle to use on me or my partner.   the whole day was an eye opener though actually going thru it with real weapons even though not a single shot was actually fired it brought some of it into perspective.

• Like 2

Sorry to hear this sue. This is something I worry about some times. We had a rash of break ins in town but they eventually arrested the suspect luckily.

Scott when my life is in danger I'd rather shoot too many than too few. I just upgraded from a 7 shot 380 to 12 plus 1 40 caliber for that added safety factor. God bless any of you who live in a low crime area and don't worry about these things. 

Sue, I think my point got lost in all this gun talk but what I was trying to say about the alarm is unless you are prepared to accept the risk associated with responding to an alarm going off it's much better to let the police handle it. That's what we pay them for.

• Like 3

Sorry to hear that. Good luck with sorting it out. We do have a camera system, both doors are posted "24/7 Video Surveillance" and you can clearly see 8 cameras around the store. We were broken into last year. The City police could not help. We were told the guy was a "new criminal face" to our area. His face was blasted on the local news channels as well as the area papers and still nothing. 

Then at our home, we have land across the street that we are building on. A thief comes three times WITH a trailer, steals all of the brand new appliances, rolls and rolls of chain link fence, ac unit, wiring, tools and so more. Over 20k in items. We catch him on video, the County detective picks him up shows him the video and he admits to it. We have the scrap yard receipts matching - his tag and license and everything he stole from us. He gets a slap on the wrist because it was a construction site, not a home. No restitution, no time in jail, not even probation. 

Don't count on the police. We dealt with city and county with no results from either. Cameras are good for you to know who robbed you so you can deal with them in your own way. 

• Like 3

Sorry to hear about your loss. :(  The one thing I never heard anyone mention yet is lighting. Darkness of any kind is an open invitation for would be theifs. a few years back I had my garage broken into. It was dark all around my place. Now I have 9 Rabb Stealth motion sensor Lights with 2 LED bulbs each on each light, (really Really Bright)!  Well they really light up the place. You cant approach any where without lighting comming on. Cameras are the second thing I did, I was no novice when it came to cameras. Working as Maint Supervisor at my local County Jail for 20 years we had over 250 of them along with 16 DVR's and multiplexers. Anyway I brought some of that Jail Technology home. I now have 16 Infra red cameras Infra red means (they see in the dark black and white). Also my DVR records 24/7. The lights serve another purpose, It changes the cameras back to color and sharpens the image when they turn on. :rolleyes:  I also installed Signs and...... Oh that security system the wife would never learn how to use that  I installed years ealier when I added on a 1400 sq ft addition??? Well she arms and uses it now!  :D  Be leary of cheap equipment in the camera industry you get what you pay for. The first thing I would do is lighting then Warning Signage as mentioned,  and then a couple Infra red cameras even cheap ones at first for this purpose. The Led  cameras glow red in the dark they have red LED's surrounding the camera lense they can be seen from 100+ feet away in the dark even if they arent working live hooking pwr to them makes the infra red led's come on that in itself will scare the crap outta people and make them think twice. If you have any questins PM me and and will do the best I can to help you out.  :thumbsup:

I love my toaster...so ya. Problem is...if you're not there when it happens a gun won't help.

I still think the best offense is a good defense here. Signs, cameras, increases police patrols. You could even place a few lights on cheap timers to power on randomly

I used to work for ADT and we used to tell our customers the number one deterrent to burglars/thieves is the signs/stickers.  You don't actually have to have the security system you just have to look like you do.

It 's a low cost option (especially cause you can make your signs and sticker) that should really help.

• Like 2

Sue, I think my point got lost in all this gun talk but what I was trying to say about the alarm is unless you are prepared to accept the risk associated with responding to an alarm going off it's much better to let the police handle it. That's what we pay them for.

Don't worry...I won't be the one rushing in to defend the shop.

As I said before, I'm interested in some deterant measures.

Motion sensor lights.

LOUD alarm if they try to break a window.

Stickers & signs will help too...especially since I can make

them myself.

Maybe a few cameras & a screen out front in the customer

area showing the camera views.

Sue2

• Like 3

I teach a CCW class and one of the questions I ask. Would you shoot someone for stealing your toaster ?

If that toaster was in my home yes. If it were if in the immediate area surrounding my home only if I felt my life was in danger. Down here once you break in while I'm home it's a home invasion and I have the right to assume they intend to harm me.

Well, all I can say is messing with a Man's toast that Sh*t just aint right!  Messin with the Capt'ns toast.... Well then that would mean WAR!  :ph34r:

• Like 1

Motion sensor outside linked to a speaker inside with a mean dog bark playing every time it gets triggered. Unlike mine you have to feed it :)

Have you considered making your large plate glass window less? When we suffered a series of B&E at a previous occupation, the window company divided the window openings with frame stiffeners and subbed lexan for the vulnerable panels. I can tell you from experience it was much more gratifying to come to work in the morning and find an unsuccessful broken concrete block laying on the sidewalk than to come in during the middle of the night to board up a shattered opening.

• Like 1

We have 7 large plate glass windows...

the building used to be a showroom.

Not that the thought hasn't crossed my mind...

Cost would be prohibitive to replace all.

Sue2

We still have our guns here in NY. One of the things we teach " We are not Combatants" let the police do their job. There are many things one can do to PREVENT becoming a victim.

I also teach how to use a handgun. When you see a 70 year old women pulling two shots in under three seconds it is a great feeling . All where they belong.

The best way to survive any fight is to never enter it 

• Like 2

If the police did their jobs down here maybe it wouldn't be so wild west but it is what it is. Better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6.

• Like 3

Yes.

Would I shoot someone stealing a loaf of bread?  Nope.

Someone crazy enough to break into a house to try and steal a toaster is crazy enough to be dangerous.

• Like 2

You may get the toaster but the my coffee maker and I get you and anybody close to you. Some things are just too valuable .

• Like 1

Someone breaks into my home they dont need to try to steal anything just breaking into my home will buy you at the minimum of a ass full of bird shot. We have a very low crime rate here in our little town almost non existent.

Sorry about the break in. I had my truck broken into a few years ago and the window cost me more to replace than the crap they stole.

And yes if someone breaks in to steal my toaster, they will get shot. I worked hard to earn the money that I bought that toaster with.

And if I cant reach my gun...well I have several swords around the house and may just cut that thief's stealing hand off.

You can turn any computer with a camera into a motion dectection security camera. I have mine set up so I can watch my dog pee on the rug.

But my camera was $10. Only problem would be if the stole the computer. :|