Sign in to follow this  
Big Rob

total noob

hi guys and sorry if some of this is in the wrong place.....

I found your forum when doing a google search today :) 

I am based in the UK and have a Silhouette Cameo cutting machine and am currently buying a ce5000-60

My wife and I have been designing and making some decals for cars.....

https://www.facebook.com/bigrdecals

I have noticed the Silhouette studio and the Graphtec studio are like identical, however neither allow me to save a file as a vector to be used by our clothing company which is a real pain. 

I have tried to use Illustrator and traced my png files, and I have tried to print from the software to pdf and load it in and trace it, but I am not happy with the quality. 

so my questions are if your able to help or point me in the right direction. 

is there a way I can get all my Silhouette files to load in my Graphtec studio?  ( otherwise I am likely to have t printscreen each project/layer and trace in the Graphtec )

is there an easier way to get my files to a vector file for others to work with? 

and any tips anyone had for me would be great :)

many thanks in advance..... 

I don't know much about graphtec studio or silhouette studio but going forward I would suggest doing your work in Illustrator to start with then just importing into your cutting program or cutting right from Illustrator with the cutting master utility that I think is a free plug-in for illustrator.  

• Like 1

I don't have one one of these, but I looked at one once as a potential gift.

I think what I took from it was there is a regular version and a Silhoutte Studio Designer Edition. The one that costs more money has an SVG export.  

However I think i read something versions before 2.0 supported SVG export.  They took it out to charge for the Designer Edition.  But I don't know first hand.  

Maybe you got an earlier version on a CD?

You could also try Inkscape's trace function.   It's free, and I think at least as good if not better than Illustrator's trace function, at least for some images. 

I think that even thought it might involve a learning curve, switching tools for your designs might be a good idea and get rid of that spiteful program.

• Like 1