alensing67

Tilting a Font

Hello there!!!

I am very new the whole graphic design world.  I am creating numbers for a race car and have created the number 21 using the Rawhide Raw 2012 font, then I italicized it.  Looks pretty cool and will go on the left side of the rear quarter panel on the car.  BUT, now I need to tilt the number towards the left instead of it tilting to the right as it is set up to do  to go on the right side of the car so it tips back towards the wheel like it will on the left side.  I have no idea how to do this!!! Please help as they need these decals tomorrow!!! Thanks bunches

For help, you should mention what design software that you are using...then some that is using that type of software can help better....

Thanks!! Yeah prolly would help.  I have Sure Cuts alot pro and I also have adobe illustrator.  However I barely know how to use illustrator so if someone can tell me how to do it I will literally need step by step very basic instructions to accomplish it.  

Thanks again

The key to this is a thing called "Skewing"

Think of it this way -- you have the number which was created using a font style. Now, it's really no longer a font, it's an object to be manipulated. It can be skewed, stretched, elongated, arched, etc.

Instead of using the Italics function, just type 21 normally, then select it (you'll get the 'handles' around it) and adjust the horizontal angle of the skew (I am not sure exactly in SCAL where this function is, but the help menu will answer that). Do the same adjustment in a NEGATIVE direction for the opposite door.

You CAN skew live text in Illustrator but eventually you will need to convert it to an object so as long as you are staying with the same number you might as well convert it first. If you are using a mac the quick keys are shift>comm>o or on a pc shift>ctrl>o or you can use the pull down type>create outlines.

Another helpful tip: If you are planning on a background color for the two color look, the best method is to convert to object as above then cntrl>8 or in the tab object>compound path>make. This will make the entire number a single object and you can then object>path>create outlines and decide how much of an offset you want and it will do a fine job creating a background for you without any messy overlaps that would otherwise need welded (combined) together. Depending on which version of AI you are running you probably have a preview of the offset path and can tweak it until it's perfect. CS2 doesn't but there is always undo.