Sign in to follow this  
smendlik

Question on 1st Knight mug press attempt

I bought a used Knights mug press and finally decided to try it out.  As you can see by the photos the result was not great.  Does it look like too little pressure or is it the heating pad?  I cooked it for 4 mins @ 400 degrees as per Conde's instructions.

post-34212-0-08529300-1406774121_thumb.j

post-34212-0-01659000-1406774122_thumb.j

I'd try longer  - but then again i hate mug presses.  first shot is typical of the heat sinking away from the bottom (because the bottom ceramic isn't heated - like the handle - but the second picture looks bad all over - more time for the heat to build up may help

What  kind of paper are you using and are you printing on the correct side.  If its image right or tex print it should be printed on the shiny side.  Try 6 minutes and some more pressure...

I am thinking you got the mugs from Conde so they should be fine?

• Like 1

The paper is the mug paper from Conde.  I'll go longer and see if it improves.  I'm most likely going to sell it as I have cactus wraps and got those right my first try!  Plus then I can do shot glasses and larger steins.

I'll give it a try tomorrow and report back.

Thanks.

I have the DC mug attachment for the Knight Combo press which is the same as the DK3 and I am also using Conde mug paper. I need to go 6 min @ 400 degrees anything less and I start to get sub par results

I have the DC mug attachment for the Knight Combo press which is the same as the DK3 and I am also using Conde mug paper. I need to go 6 min @ 400 degrees anything less and I start to get sub par results

Thank you, I'll try 6 mins tonight then.  I'm feeling optimistic now!!

Hopefully that works for you.   I really like the Knight Mug Press but my production rate sucks. If everything is perfect the most I can output is 10 a hour and honestly I am really doing 9 a hour. Right know it is fine for my volume. when things pick up I will either have to add a second press or move to wraps.

I do mugs in my 5 slot presses for 185 seconds. I tried wraps, IMO they take to long and are to cumbersome. Takes way to long to run lots of em. Load the mugs up side down. More heat the better is what I have found. I am right at the edge of scorching the paper, turning it a tad bit brown actually. 

• Like 1

Also make sure to heat soak a blank mug or 2 to ensure even heating across the pads prior to starting.

10 wraps - 5 in and 5 out rotated every 15 minutes is 20 mugs an hr - works for me and not so many donations to the deer camps - but everyone has their favorite method.  which press you using shaun?  

I got 2 STA 5 station presses. running one about 40 a hour pretty easily. Running 2 about 60. Can do more but gets hard to keep up. 

Plus my gomers here would just sit and watch the oven if I let them use wraps. They are all idiots. Fired 2 within the last 3 weeks. Down to one. Anyone need a job??? lol

• Like 1

I got 2 STA 5 station presses. running one about 40 a hour pretty easily. Running 2 about 60. Can do more but gets hard to keep up. 

Wow, you have a demand for that many mugs?

I have 1 customer that gets a few hundred at a shot. 

How do you go about finding a customer like that, I'd like to get one!!

• Like 1

6:00 was definitely better.  Still some slight fading on one side but good enough that I'm comfortable enough to put it up for sale this weekend.

post-34212-0-52932100-1406864654_thumb.j

post-34212-0-82238800-1406864655_thumb.j

much better but still have that fading where the bottom wicks the heat away.  unless that is a glare

Nope, still a little fading.  At least i know now that it works, the time/pressure just needs to be dialed in.  I just wanted to confirm that it works properly before putting it up for sale.

a lot better maybe a little more pressure, you could also make the image a touch smaller to get those hard edges on the press ...

• Like 1