Sign in to follow this  
Capt'n Morgan

Setting Up Shop "Vinyl Storage"

As I am just getting into this, I see the need to keep the shop organized to stay productive and to keep product stored properly. I have looked online and at stores and didn't like the type of vinyl storage racks I seen for my application. I decided to go with adjustable shelf brackets.I utilized a room in my basement that we no longer use for this purpose. I used 2" pvc pipe and cut a slit in the bottom of the pipe to fit over the shelf bracket. This serves two purposes it keeps the shelf brackets aligned and spread apart, and keeps the pvc from rolling thus keeping the rolls of Vinyl in place and coming in contact with each other.  On this small wall section I should be able to get 50 to 60 rolls of Vinyl in this area. More if I were to use 16" shelf brackets these are 12" shown. holding 1: and 24" rolls. Here is what it looks like. Tell me what you think.

DSCN6003.jpg

DSCN6007.jpg

DSCN6004.jpg

DSCN6008.jpg

• Like 2

Good idea.

I am wondering about the 3-deep arrangement, however, because it doesn't seem to allow easy access to the rear rolls.

It would drive me nuts to constantly require unracking two rolls just to obtain the one I need in the back.

I like it. I have been trying to decide how to store mine. May have to use this idea.

Butch

• Like 1

Good idea.

I am wondering about the 3-deep arrangement, however, because it doesn't seem to allow easy access to the rear rolls.

It would drive me nuts to constantly require unracking two rolls just to obtain the one I need in the back.

True, I agree that it would drive me nuts too, having to un-rack 2 rolls just to get at one in the back, but thats the beauty behind the adjustable rack. all you have to do is drop the rows low enough that you can get the one in the back out between the top and bottom rolls.

• Like 1

Add a rail in the middle of each and just slide the rolls on the shelf brackets

• Like 1

another good idea - lots of designs shown over the years on how everyone does it and all have their strengths - anybody else back hurt when they saw those 50 yrd by the ceiling though?  rough couple of weeks  siding fireplace, new trim and paint around all doors on house, replace door on barn, level and seed yard where pool was, tear siding off back room to run new wires to tv in back room (broke ends on 40' hdmi cable last winter) so right now those top rolls would stay there until stacey got home or until I healed.  just looking at those top rolls made me ache more LOL

• Like 1

You know what would be cool.   

Set up your plotter on a track in front of that rack.   then you wouldn't even have to pull them down.   Just unroll it straight from the wall and feed it into the plotter.   

Just remember to not let it pull from the roll.  always prefeed.  

• Like 2

I think its a smart idea however I would have the 50yrd on the lower level just because of what Dakota said plus imaging if it was too much weight and it fell.

• Like 1

I think its a smart idea however I would have the 50yrd on the lower level just because of what Dakota said plus imaging if it was too much weight and it fell.

It doesn't take a lot of sideways force for those brackets to bend... I'm guessing you don't have cats in your house... or you like being woken by the sound of expensive crashing noises in the night...  ;-)

• Like 3

My second go round to storing my vinyl was similar to this and yes I did feed directly into the cutter.  But it got old real quick moving rolls and reaching to the back and shuffling back and forth.  Now my 3rd time rearranging, and all the rolls are held on their own hanger and facing out away from the wall.  Pull it off and set in on the cutter.  No more moving any rolls except the one I need.  And they are all hanging over top of the machine so no room is lost.  Much happier now.   

• Like 2

Been storing mine like this for years. Many say it ruins the rolls but I've never had a problem. The few 50yd. rolls I have are standing up on the floor.20140731_081843_zpslywwtuee.jpg

• Like 1

That is the way they're stored at the warehouses, lying down like that.

How do you know how much vinyl you've got left, when the rolls are hidden behind the flaps?

• Like 1

It literally takes less than a minute to flip them all up and do inventory. I usually do it twice a week and spot check if I have a sign order to insure that I have enough in stock. I've tried a ton of rack setups but this works for me and you can just see the top of my cutter in the picture so all I do is pull it out and turn around to the cutter for loading.

• Like 1

I like the color names, that's valuable.

My shop had all the vinyl on the horizontal racks --

orca_rack.jpg

• Like 1

True, I agree that it would drive me nuts too, having to un-rack 2 rolls just to get at one in the back, but thats the beauty behind the adjustable rack. all you have to do is drop the rows low enough that you can get the one in the back out between the top and bottom rolls.

Thanks for all your inputs! you are all correct never thought of getting rolls in and out.  Well as Mack says that's the beauty of adjustable racks.   :rolleyes:  Keep in mind I am just starting out and don't want to plunge into a bunch of colors I wont use. I figured I will get larger 50 Yard rolls down the road. I lost 3 shelf's spacing them out but that's okay, so presently the right row of shelf's will have all 10 yard vinyl enough for 24 types. On the end of rolls I will install caps as shown. I will have the color of these rolls on the caps. there will also be a product code as shown on the side of the roll. The left hand row will have 6  shelf's enough space for 12 50 yard rolls. As you can see now they are easily removed.  So what ya think now?   B)  

By the way, Jay that's a nice setup and some serious Vinyl.  :thumbsup:

DSCN6013.jpg

DSCN6012.jpg

DSCN6011.jpg

Jay, What about that rack you built!  for your HTV !

Mine aren't racks. Just displays for the customers.Capt'n if you keep your most used colors to the front I think that'll work fine. My problem is I have most of the 651 colors in stock and I never know what's going to sell next around here.

• Like 1

Mine aren't racks. Just displays for the customers.Capt'n if you keep your most used colors to the front I think that'll work fine. My problem is I have most of the 651 colors in stock and I never know what's going to sell next around here.

Jay,

I would say having that much 651 in stock wouldn't be considered a problem!   :lol: This is all a new endeavor for me and my wife, I appreciate every ones help and input. I have learned a bunch in the past few weeks and am enjoying setting up my shop and inventory. Thank goodness I am not having to make a living doing this at the moment. I can appreciate all of you business owners.  :thumbsup:  I speak from experience as I was in business for 10 years as I am a licensed HVAC Mechanical Contractor for 32 years.  It takes a special person who has the dedication and determination to get their arse out of bed everyday and make a living for themselves and their family.  I decided to switch hats and took that determination and went to work in 1991 for my local County. ( I tell people I went and got a real job!) I retire in 4 months and 10 days but who's Counting.   :D  

• Like 2

It doesn't take a lot of sideways force for those brackets to bend... I'm guessing you don't have cats in your house... or you like being woken by the sound of expensive crashing noises in the night...  ;-)

ShelfBrackets.png