Sign in to follow this  
ShowMeCleaning

Dye-sublimation Printer - Ricoh SG 3110DN

Yes, as long as you have the Sublijet-R inks in it. You will need to sublimate to a 100% polyester shirt like vapor apparel  (there are lots of other brands too).

Some also sublimate to cotton / poly blends (50/50) for a vintage / faded look.

You can do all kinds of other things like phone cases, tiles.... the list goes on and on.  B)

• Like 2

Can I also use CromaBlast Dye in this printer?? And if I use sublimation dye I'd have to clean it before using Croma Blast. I'm really wet behind the ear are sublimation. All help I can get would be awesome. From what it sounds like I'm starting a new addiction.

If you try swapping back and forth like that you will waste a lots of ink..

You're going to waste so much ink trying to swap back and forth it would be cheaper in the long run to buy two printers and run one type of ink in each.  It costs more for a set of ink cartridges than it does for the printer itself ($225 for the printer + $325 for a set of sublimation ink cartridges).  

Before you commit to a letter sized printer, go check Conde/Coastal/LRI/Johnson Plastics/Etc. list of sublimatable products and determine if a letter sized printer will be big enough for the types of items you want to make.  There are times I wish I had bigger than a 13x19" sublimation printer...

If you're only planning to do t-shirts, look at getting a pigment ink printer (much cheaper) and printing JPSS transfers - you're only going to be able to do light colored shirts via sublimation, anyways...

• Like 1

like ow said it doesn't make sense to use $200 in ink to purge the system to switch back and forth every time.  I remember watching the ink go down filling the lines on my first sublimation printer and thinking how much money was just going to getting it ready to use - next 2 I just closed my eyes and let it do it's thing - hurts less

• Like 3

next 2 I just closed my eyes and let it do it's thing - hurts less

No it doesn't... ;-)

• Like 1

I have customers that love that vintage look / wash out look. And don't be afraid of trying different color poly shirts it adds an effect.

On a side note and question, It's looking like the time has come for me to buy more ink for my Ricoh SG3110DN printer. Can I get away with changing one color at a time or do I have to replace all four at once? Also,does anyone know if the price of the cartridges has gone down from $325 yet? Thanks

You can do 1 at a time. I don't change in until it stops prints and says to change it out inks too expensive to not get every print you can out of it.

• Like 2