Sign in to follow this  
mactube

Where to position the Vinyl with a US Cutter SC Series

Hi,

I'm a new member seeking some advice .  I'm trying to make my first cuts. When I'm tried to do some test cuts , the cutter would start cutting (from Sure Cuts A Lot 3 Pro)  right in the middle of the 2 ft. wide vinyl and about 1 ft. far deep into the vinyl. Where do I have to position the Vinyl and the start position of the blade to start cutting and with which setting. 

I have watched several tutorials, but non discuss the starting positions and starting settings. 

Would greatly appreciate any advice .. thanks in advance. 

You need to set your origin on the machine. Here's the instructions from the manual.

. Origin setup:
Now is cutting…
Local? (ENTER) Operation Manual 
 -10-
A. Under the static screen, press SELECT key to choose “Local” function, and 
then confirm it with ENTER key. When the screen displays: Position:
Origin Current, the place of the cutter/plotter can be changed by direction keys. 
After the regulation, press SELECT key to choose whether to change the 
origin or not, then confirm it with ENTER key.
B. Under the dynamic screen, press ENTER key, when the screen displays: 
Position: Origin Current, the place of the cutter/plotter can be changed by 
direction keys. After the regulation, choose whether to change the origin or not 
with SELECT key and confirm it with ENTER key.

SC models from USCUTTER have the static screen (not the dynamic screen)\

I also highly recommend you abandon SCALpro and start using SignBlazer, with the LiYu driver.

when you are on the cut screen in scalp do you have  the cut mode set to origin point or WYSIWYG should be on origin point

Ok thanks ,

but where do I position the Vinyl in the Cutter ( which inch - marks , in combination with the mat of the software and its inch marks) ?

The vinyl can be positioned so that the HOME position of the blade is right at the corner of the vinyl (as close as you can make it).

Like THIS ---

vinyl_cutter_1.jpg

I use WYSIWYG. But I've learned where to place my graphic on the screen and put my vinyl on the cutter. Just takes a little trial and era. And another suggestion. Buy a key span. It will be the best investment you ever make using the SC. Just my 2 cents.

@signyouup thanks that worked find..

@slice&dice do you think I will have problems with Sculp or is the other software much better? That position for the Vinyl worked fine for me thanks ! 

@djque thanks that worked.. 

@Dawn's Designes LLC  .. I guess I'll stick with the simple options for know until I have figured  everything out.. 

I'm amazed how detailed the SC Cutter cuts. Please take a look at my pictures attached .. 

Now I will just have to find out how to set a cutting line around my logo, so I can actually remove the "negative part " from around my logo..

.. I'm assuming you call it excess vinyl !?.. and put it on application tape. 

I'm a little bit concerned about how much the machine has to move/work to cut out my logo so detailed, since this will be the shape I will cut the most. That can't be good for the machine .  I'm thinking about changing the leafs of the palm tree to a simpler shape to not mess up the cutter over time. 

It feel's like the depth of the blade is adjusted right , because it really only cuts the top layer but some parts are a little difficult to pic out , I guess I can cut a little deeper by adjusting the pressure/weight  right !?

Speaking of pressure did you guys notice the imprint of the metal underneath the rollers ? Is that normal or is that low quality vinyl ?

http://i1267.photobucket.com/albums/jj558/mactube/Vinyle/photo1.jpg

http://i1267.photobucket.com/albums/jj558/mactube/Vinyle/photo3.jpg

http://i1267.photobucket.com/albums/jj558/mactube/Vinyle/Logo.jpg

To put a weed box in scalp select the file then go to object at the top open it and go down to weed. a box will open with the image in it.

Then you hit ok and it will have a cut box around it. I usually change the color of the cut box so I can see where it is.

now your cuts look like either you are pulling from the roll or your file is not a vector. can you post the file your detail looks off.

@dawn's designes LLC  what do you mean by Key Span ? Are you taking about the Adapter from Serial to USB ?

• Like 1

Yes it will help you a lot with finishing cuts different things like that. The SC cutter has a really short memory the key span helps that. Its the best investment I've made.

@djque I'm working on a new logo ( a simpler one) to preserver the life spane of my machine when it come to cutting those palm tree leafs ..

as soon as thats done I'll try the Week Box..

Check out these Call Of Duty - Test cuts .. please note : I mad the image more than 50% smaller ! 

.. ans still a nice precise cut !?

Please also click the Video to see how easy the access vinyl .. just pops out when I hit it with the knife. ( Sorry had the iphone right next to the speaker.. was listening to the radio) 

@all thanks for all the advice and tips ! 

http://s1267.photobucket.com/user/mactube/library/test%20cut

@dawn's designes LLC  I'm assuming when I try to cut a big file or a lot of files this it will be important !? Because you said the SC Cutter has a short memory ..

Does it have to be the 50 buck one form US cutter : http://www.uscutter.com/Keyspan-USB-Serial-Adapter

or could it be a regular one ?: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Belkin-USB-Serial-Portable-Cable-Adapter-Type-A-Male-USB-DB-9-Male-Serial-B-/301237663157?pt=US_USB_Cables_Hubs_Adapters&hash=item462329f5b5

Ok, so I will get me one of those adapters as soon as I get more on the big cut jobs..

So to get this right this is to keep multiply or big cut jobs in the memory ?