Sign in to follow this  
Capt'n Morgan

Software Question For Design Adobe Illistrator Or Correll Draw

If you could buy either one. And wanted the Best which one, which would you buy that will do the best Job.  And oh by the way what's the latest of the versions cost.   Thanks   :thumbsup:

For me corel. But that's only because that's what I started with.

Thanks I just pulled the Trigger on version X7 for 98.00 bucks did I mention I was a student?  :rolleyes:  The student of life that is. These aren't Grey hairs their MILE MARKERS! Which proves I am smarter than the average Bear! B)

I use both, don`t worry about cost.

mark-s

Really!    <_<   you get no likes for that one.  B)

I don't know about corel but adobe is now just a cloud based monthly or yearly payment plan. YUCK! I have an older version (CS5) that I bought. You can download CS2 for free from here: 

https://www.adobe.com/cfusion/entitlement/index.cfm?e=cs2%5Fdownloads         You will have to have an adobe account (free) and there is the assumption that you own or purchased an old copy of CS2 ;)

Adobe has a steep learning curve but once you learn it it's awesome. CS2 doesn't have all the bells and whistles that the newer versions do but is still a very robust program and will give you a taste of whether you want to learn it or not because all the basic functions are the same as the newer versions. You can also get a 30 day free trial of the CC version. Just be prepared to pull your hair out a little at first. 

Most of us also download Inkscape (free open source) as well just to have it around. Some on here are real proficient with it. 

I have both plus Inkscape.

If I had to choose just one...it would be Corel.

AI seems a bit cumbersome at times.

There are things AI can do better than Corel and vice versa.

It may be that I started with Corel 3.0 and am more

comfortable with it....

If I need to make a graphic, poster, design....etc

I go to Corel first.

Now, for photo editing my choice is Adobe Photoshop

over Corel's Photo Paint.  Again, it's probably what

you get used to.

I DON'T LIKE OR WANT ANY CLOUD BASED VERSIONS.

I am surprised that Quark hasn't taken advantage of this.

Good Luck!

Sue2

I have both plus Inkscape.

If I had to choose just one...it would be Corel.

Good Luck!

Sue2

Thanks Sue for the feedback and reinforcement. :thumbsup:  I pulled the trigger last night on Flee Bay and got v7.0 for 98.00 something. I have Photoshop 6.0 and a ton of elements so that will cover me there. I wouldn't mind getting the full version of Flexi sometime but need to get busy and learn Corel first. Ill be ordering the cutter this week and a Heat press. Thanks again!

I did two years of college having illustrator beat into me like no one's business...but I'm rusty.  Can give me a couple of examples that you guys mentioned about corel that illustrator can't do?  Maybe I should brush up on those processes.  Thanks :)

It's hard to list specifics...

I feel the node editing in Corel is easier.

I like the trace in Corel.

Also the font finder feature linked to What-the-font

is very handy.

Corel does not make links to outside graphics/photos...

you just import or copy & paste onto your page

and it is saved within the Corel file.

I think AI handles colors better.

I'm sure there are more points...but that is what I

can think of at the moment.

Sue2

Thanks I just pulled the Trigger on version X7 for 98.00 bucks did I mention I was a student?  :rolleyes:  The student of life that is. These aren't Grey hairs their MILE MARKERS! Which proves I am smarter than the average Bear! B)

You do know that the student version will not run most plugins or macro's?

There is also a lot of features that are disabled.

Not trying to burst your bubble or anything, just letting you know.

• Like 3

What really makes the decision for me is speed.

From a stand still, with nothing loaded, after double-clicking the Illustrator icon there is an 18 second loading phases before I get to the point where I can create a new document or open an existing document.

Repeat the experiment with CorelDraw and there is a 3-4 second loading phase.   Same sort of thing for Corel Photo-Paint vs. Photoshop.

The Adobe tools are nice and powerful, but they don't use the Windows standard GUI interface, they hide stuff on palettes and use obscure names for features and functions and they are generally slow by comparison - if you're willing to get past all that and you know the software, you can do some AMAZING things with the Adobe tools.

On my mac Illustrator just stays open unless I specifically shut it down or restart the computer so it's basically instantly open. About the only pisser is when installing new fonts you have to power down and restart it to reload the fonts. On my windows laptop CS2 version I can just go stick the font in the adobe file and it's there for my use immediately. 

I recommend using Adobe products whenever available. I am a little biased since im a full time graphic designer...but if you have the need (or want) for Photoshop, Indesign, or other Adobe programs look into the new CC version and you can have everything Adobe makes (30+ programs each valued over $200) for monthly fee of $50. Yes it costs more in the long run don't want to start a debate on it but again only if you have the need for that...plus cool features like Behance/prosite portfolio, Typekit fonts, Kuler, free web hosting all included with a CC membership...and its backed by Adobe's award winning support.

Another cool thing is you will get access to any Adobe event free of charge. That could be e-learning sessions, local classes, trade shows, anything Adobe sponsors. I go to a few of these each year and learn about new features, software, and future products to help stay up to date in the design world. 

$600 per year adds  up...

How many of us use a program 3-4 years or more before deciding to

update?

Will Adobe continue to offer the stand-alone versions( non Cloud-based)?

With "Cloud" based programs....your files are useless if/when you

decide you don't want to continue paying monthly... unless you have

up to date stand-alone programs installed on your computer.

I purchased the ADOBE CS6 package disk purposely to avoid the "Cloud"

issues.  I don't need 30+ programs and the latest whistles and

bells to design signs, banners, business cards and brochures.

It's Smoke & Mirrors to get you to sign up perpetually.

Sue2

• Like 2

$600 per year adds  up...

How many of us use a program 3-4 years or more before deciding to

update?

Will Adobe continue to offer the stand-alone versions( non Cloud-based)?

With "Cloud" based programs....your files are useless if/when you

decide you don't want to continue paying monthly... unless you have

up to date stand-alone programs installed on your computer.

I purchased the ADOBE CS6 package disk purposely to avoid the "Cloud"

issues.  I don't need 30+ programs and the latest whistles and

bells to design signs, banners, business cards and brochures.

It's Smoke & Mirrors to get you to sign up perpetually.

Sue2

They will still be offering the CS6 versions of all their software...which is what most people will be interested in. I was paying up to $1,000 a year to keep updated with everything to do my job so I see $600 as a relief. The joy of the CC is you wont have to pay for new software each year when it's released, just let it update as necessary. If you use the cloud and decide that its not a good fit you can cancel anytime and still keep the files since they are not actually stored in Adobe's "cloud". Once you cancel you still have 30 days of software use until you decide to go back to what you were using or invest in something new...enough time to convert everything to .eps or interchangeable file. 

Since Corel can open ai and psd files I'm assuming there are many other programs that can as well if that need ever arose.

Since Corel can open ai and psd files I'm assuming there are many other programs that can as well if that need ever arose.

We can only hope this will continue.....

but it would be to Adobe's advantage to keep users hostage somehow.

I am surprised Quark hasn't stepped in to offer an alternative

to those not wanting to be tied into "Cloud" subscriptions.

Sue2

Been following your adventures with vans may take it for a test run soon

jaybird what version of corel are you using that opens ai files? I have CS 6 and Corel 3. I can not get them to talk unless the files were saved as eps. 

I open them in x3 but it won't open all of them. For the ones it won't open flexi starter 10 seems to handle the rest along with some fonts that won't function in corel.

CorelDraw X6 seems to have no problems with .AI files of all types that I've thrown at it so far...

You do know that the student version will not run most plugins or macro's?

There is also a lot of features that are disabled.

Not trying to burst your bubble or anything, just letting you know.

Well bikemike got into Corel last night and that's exactly what you friggen did   <_<  &%#$@@#@)  Yeah Now What TF!  Geesh!  Anybody have a good deal on an older copy you want to sell?   :unsure:  Gosh I hate buying software!