Sign in to follow this  
Capt'n Morgan

Need Suggestions In Heat Press

Hi, I'm new in all of this. My Wife wants to start doing coffee mugs T shirts and a few Hats. I would say 200 of Cups and T shirts  year and maybe 30-40 hats. What do you guys recommend? Buy a 5 or 8 in 1 or buying separately? and Which ones?

Thanks for your suggestions.... :thumbsup:

separate for sure - cactus wraps for mugs - if you want a starter press look at the sunie with over the center pressure adjustment - if you want the best (like the cutter) then the hotronix fusion (drool)

• Like 1

Dakota,

Yep that Fusion is quite the press...... But Looks like Im gonna hafta "STAND DOWN"   :blink:  I can get about 5 of the SunIE presses for the cost of that one, :rolleyes: I have searched and found several posts and discussion where everyone (you included) have directed people twords these SunIE presses. I went to their website and found these two pictured below with links. Which one of them would you recommend? Most everyone in those posts I read agrees the 16X20 is the way to go over the 15X15.  Also do they sell good coffee mug presses? If so which one?  Thanks brother.  :thumbsup:

Press1.jpg

Press2.jpg

I would like to HAVE a 20x16 but I wouldn't want it to be my ONLY press. I use a 15x15 and have rarely needed bigger. When I did it was something I pressed in two shots. If you are going to print real big transfers then the bigger might be a must have but most of the stuff I put on is usually about 10-12 wide. I also have a good used hat press that I find handy for sleeves and weird small places (besides hats). 

I have a swing away and love it. I also picked up a used clam and used it a while to make a firm decision on which I liked best and the swing won out easily. I don't like the platen being right over my hands and on intricate detailed HTV work it is easier to get a good look at the layering without having to get so close to the heat. Sunie is a well known affordable brand that everyone seems to have good luck with. I have a USCutter model swing out that I don;t think they offer anymore. A heat press with some HTV will also turn huge profits in conjunction with your new cutter. My wife actually talked me into the press when I set up the first time and I figured it would just be a fun thing to have to build shirts for the kids and myself but it has turned into half or more of my total gross sales. 

• Like 1

BTW, I don't drink anymore but back in my wilder days your avatar was my favorite buddy. 

• Like 1

BTW, I don't drink anymore but back in my wilder days your avatar was my favorite buddy. 

Hey WILD GOOSE

Interesting2.jpg

• Like 1

Well I went back to their sight and found this Swing Away which is 15X12 (is that big enough) but they also have a 15X18 Swing Away Listed but when I click the link it doesn't open up.  :angry:   I can see where a Swing Away would be nice to get a birds eye view and line things up better. The Swing Away is Still gives good center pressure w adjustment correct?  Thanks

Press3.jpg

15X18.jpg

I would also get a auto open press makes life so much better.

• Like 1

What state are you in? I have a another hotronix I just got in and need to test but they are rock solid top notch machines unfortunately they are so heavy shipping isn't cost effective.

• Like 2

What state are you in? I have a another hotronix I just got in and need to test but they are rock solid top notch machines unfortunately they are so heavy shipping isn't cost effective.

Jay I am in S/W Michigan

You've got a 13x19" printer already, so I'd recommend going with the 16x20" press if you can afford it.

Swing away presses are more convenient and you're less likely to burn the backs of your hands, but they require more real estate than the clam shell models.    The swing aways also do a better job on larger objects as you can get more even pressure across the surface - the clam shell models want to clamp down along the back edge and you won't get as much pressure towards the front.

I started with a smaller clam shell and upgraded to a 16x20" swing away as soon as I found a good deal.  Like Dakotagrafx said, go with Cactus Wraps for coffee mugs and a separate hat press for doing hats.   The 8-in-1 and 5-in-1 presses are never as good as dedicated separate presses.  See this thread for why Cactus Wraps are better than a mug press - even a dedicated mug press.  

• Like 2

Well I went back to their sight and found this Swing Away which is 15X12 (is that big enough) but they also have a 15X18 Swing Away Listed but when I click the link it doesn't open up.  

I wouldn't go smaller. 15"x15 is about right and you really have about 14" of working zone. I didn't pay attention to your signature. Ya if you have a large format printer then it would be worth going big because you can actually use it. (obviously you can go as much coverage as you want with vinyl but it isn't picky about getting pressed all at once like transfers are).  If you get a Press Pillow and a couple Perfect Press Pads you will be glad. On the press pads I have heard of folks just using a mouse pad or two stacked with good results. Just lets you deal with buttons, pockets and seams. Little kid shirts can be the biggest pain if you don't have a pillow to allow good even pressure because of seams from collar and sleeves etc...

• Like 1

Thanks Guys,  :)  I really appreciate your help. I will get at least a 15X15 Swing Press in a SunIE. Later down the road I will try and catch a deal on a more professional model. On the Mug deal Yep looks like Cactus wraps are the way to go! I will order some and looks like a Hamilton Beach Convection oven will be in order. :thumbsup:   Heck if I get hungry while making Mugs I can always throw in some beans & bacon and have lunch! :lol:

• Like 1

just got back from Detroit area from a wifes family get together - looks like everyone covered everything fine - on the oven - I uses stacey's maytag gemini oven and don't worry about taking up more space with a convection oven

I have the 15x15 press from sunie and I like it.  

Does it get the job done?................ YES

Do I wish I got a swing away.............YES

It does suck having to look at your design at an angle when you're trying to line it up. I'll be looking for a swing away soon.

BUT the 15x15 works great and I've started making some real decent money using it.  

I've been posting around on the local FB groups and people have been hitting me up like crazy because they only want 10-20 shirts and screen printers around here have a min of $500 to do an order.  

Sorry back on topic..  

DO NOT go any smaller then a 15"x15"

Swing away is nice but not needed to get your feet wet and start making money.  

• Like 2

watching craigslist with searchtempest you can usually find a good used hotronix, knight or Mighty within a few weeks for $500 or under  - $600 in a pinch.    

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="Go-C Wraps" data-cid="365524" data-time="1405834474"><p>

I have the 15x15 press from sunie and I like it. <br />

<br />

Does it get the job done?................ YES<br />

<br />

Do I wish I got a swing away.............YES<br />

<br />

It does suck having to look at your design at an angle when you're trying to line it up. I'll be looking for a swing away soon.<br />

BUT the 15x15 works great and I've started making some real decent money using it. <br />

I've been posting around on the local FB groups and people have been hitting me up like crazy because they only want 10-20 shirts and screen printers around here have a min of $500 to do an order. <br />

<br />

Sorry back on topic.. <br />

DO NOT go any smaller then a 15"x15"<br />

Swing away is nice but not needed to get your feet wet and start making money.</p></blockquote>

Pm me and I bet we can get together on printing so we both make dome cash and all you have to do is handle the sale.

• Like 1

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="Go-C Wraps" data-cid="365524" data-time="1405834474"><p>

I have the 15x15 press from sunie and I like it. <br />

<br />

Does it get the job done?................ YES<br />

<br />

Do I wish I got a swing away.............YES<br />

<br />

It does suck having to look at your design at an angle when you're trying to line it up. I'll be looking for a swing away soon.<br />

BUT the 15x15 works great and I've started making some real decent money using it. <br />

I've been posting around on the local FB groups and people have been hitting me up like crazy because they only want 10-20 shirts and screen printers around here have a min of $500 to do an order. <br />

<br />

Sorry back on topic.. <br />

DO NOT go any smaller then a 15"x15"<br />

Swing away is nice but not needed to get your feet wet and start making money.</p></blockquote>

Pm me and I bet we can get together on printing so we both make dome cash and all you have to do is handle the sale.

Jaybird whats up with the Gobbly Gook?  B)

Some crap happened using my phone. Sorry about that.

just got back from Detroit area from a wifes family get together - looks like everyone covered everything fine - on the oven - I uses stacey's maytag gemini oven and don't worry about taking up more space with a convection oven

Dakota, The Oven I have is a  Convection Oven Stainless Steel Kitchen Aid with smooth top electric which lays over our countertops when I designed and put in this new kitchen back in 2006. I don't think I'm going to pull out an oven that fits perfectly well and spend an unneeded $1439.10 and piss off the wife. :wacko:  Id rather spend 69.00 plus my use my10% off Walmart Lifetime discount card (she worked there 20 yrs and retired) and I can mount it to wall over my workspace and not sacrifice table countertop space.  :thumbsup:

NewYears005.jpg

NewYears006.jpg

LOL - that oven will work fine for doing sub mugs is the point.  I just don't see  a need for another counter top oven to store

post-84978-0-12137200-1406256686_thumb.j

Captain I am glad you don't live closer to Jaybird! Went by and saw him today and got the Hotronix he had for sale. I will say I picked his brain a bit too. Now to start playing...I mean making money :)

Butch

• Like 3

attachicon.gifheat press.jpg

Captain I am glad you don't live closer to Jaybird! Went by and saw him today and got the Hotronix he had for sale. I will say I picked his brain a bit too. Now to start playing...I mean making money :)

Butch

rock solid press right there - I have it's brother

I still have it's twins. Couldn't let them all leave home on me.