Sign in to follow this  
Capt'n Morgan

Equipment Recomendations Titan vs Graphtec or Both?

Hi all,   :rolleyes:

Been reading for a couple days and there sure looks to be a lot of talent on here. I recently started looking into Rock Carving and in doing so, and reading one thing after another, I have found there are many things that can be done in this hobby.  I also made the mistake of showing my Wife all I have learned thus far now I am under strict orders to investigate what will be needed to do these things, Rock Carving (deep) large rocks, small rocks, Glass Etching Frosting, Decals, layered and sublimation, Hats, T- Shirts, Coffee Cups, It kinda looks like the Full Monty. I don't think we will be going into full production mode but I do see the equipment getting some pretty heavy use. The other thing is the wife and I will retire in December so we will have plenty of time for this and if we can make a few bucks along the way so be it.

The first order of business is a vinyl cutter. I have decided a 24" would fit our needs, In my research and in comparison I found that Graphtec to be at the top, and recently the Titan2  to be a pretty good cutter since they have went servo and oh(Great Price Too! :) . The Titan 2 has some serious down pressure for thicker resist films for heavy blasting, and it looks like the FC-8600 has good pressure too Along with some serious accuracy with the (advance registration mark system). The CE-6000 looks to be a great machine also and from what I have read is a very accurate but has a short falling cutting thicker films?

I am a firm believer in not pushing a machine to its limit and I realize many machines have strong and weak points and costs usually enter into the purchase decision. Is their an advantage to having two machines say the Titan2 24" for thicker film and not so accurate cuts along with the Graphtec CE-6000 for more accurate and precise work? both of those machines combined are like $ 3045.00 or should I pull the trigger on the Graphtec FC-8600 24" for $ 3295.00? Is the FC really more accurate than the CE? There is an advantage for two machines in that redundancy will prevent down time in case of a failure, and both my wife and I could both be using one.  So what is your thoughts on this?  If you had a $3500.00 Cap for a vinyl cutter(s) what would you do.

So what about heat presses? for T shirts, Hats & Mugs? Any Ideas There? 

How about Sublimation? I have seen Rich's stuff from Cobra Ink, how does his printers work and hold up? Any Ideas in this field Looks to be a savings in Ink over the long haul? What's your thoughts.

Thanks, I really appreciate all of your input.  :thumbsup:

~Bob

it all comes down to are you planning on cutting a lot of thicker films? to be honest there isn't that many thicker films that I have run across mostly etch masking and some chromes can be a pain. But the average person or company who needs signs or decals wont go for chrome and unless your planning on etching or to make etching stencils you want need to worry about. However if you plan on getting into etching you can use standard vinyl. I personally would go with the Graphtec. Wish I did instead of an MH series.

• Like 1

Thanks Madhatter and for everyone else that chimed in and gave a brother some advice when he needed it.    :lol:    Maybe ill save myself some money and buy a pair of scissors. :rolleyes:   And use the wife's Sunbeam Iron for a heat press.   :blink:

• Like 1

I don't think you are going to find a member with a Titan, who also owns a Graphtec,  Or a Graphtec owner with a Titan..  They don't need it..

.Dakotagraphix  did do a review on the Titan 11, and does own the CE6000-60 also. 

Both the Graphtec CE and FC cut accurate...Not one better than the other..  The FC has more bells and whistles.. Both CE and FC have ARMS..   I own a FC unit,  as well as bought a CE 5000 for my son.   We only cut sign vinyl.  I choose the FC  to get a 30" machine.  I own the FC7000MK2-75.  It is very heavy duty, and well built.  I have owned it new since 2008.  Never a problem...  And my son has owned the CE5000-60 for over 2 years and never a problem.   The CE6000 was not out yet..

The Titan has not been sold here that long...

• Like 1

I don't own either but have followed along as the Titan and Titan 2 have come out. They seems to be a pretty good machines (especially the servo model) with some extreme pressure ability. If the literature is accurate it has more down pressure than most of the other cutters including the FC which would make it a likely choice if you are doing a lot of sandblast resist. That being said, if you only do occasional resist cutting and tend more toward regular work like most of us then the pressure is not a real issue. Graphtec is going to hold it's value over the long haul and is a time proven performer for not that much more $$$. The CE-6000 has upped the pressure from the 5000 series (at least in the 48" model)

• Like 2

Thank you Wild Goose and Mz Skeeter, along with Dakota who I have been in PM contact with. After reading, reading, and more reading I am certainly going to get (1) Graphtec Cutter. On top of that I think I am going to spend the extra money and get the FC-8600 60 which I can load 30" vinyl -vs- 28"  and has double the pressure at 600 gr -vs- 300.  I will take Dakota's recommendation and use Clean Cut Blades. I still am not sure what all I will be doing, but I figure having that extra horse power is sure not going to hurt anything. And I think I wont have to look back and say Gosh...... I wish I would have went the better unit!    :rolleyes:  Dakota I value your opinion in the PM, and I wasn't trying to second guess you, I just was gathering information and other opinions best I could.  :thumbsup:  Thanks to all of you. Now when I get the Cutter I can Get rid of the Scissors and Kitchen Knife.  :lol:

• Like 3

The FC is a great choice. I was almost going to buy one myself but then heard about the SummaCut D75r which has all the features except 200g cutting force for about 1K less (set up similar with stand and extra blade and holder for 60deg blade). I can say that there have been a couple times where I have had to make a second pass on real thick sandblast media. The FC are known for being great at muscling through the sandblast resist and diamond grade reflective products like they use on interstate highway signs. You won't be disappointed in the machine and unless you are totally inept you will have no problem generating enough work to pay for itself. The quality will always be there and re-sale of an FC is like selling a Corvette or a Harley, their is always someone looking for a good used one. 

The 30" cutter is the FC8600-75 = max cut 30"        the 24" is FC8600-60= max cut 24" ...   .  

I choose the FC7000-75 so I could cut 29.5" vinyl....

congrats - I am SURE you won't be sorry - wish we could all start like that, it will be a great head start

• Like 1

Thanks Dakota, I have sacrificed my entire life, While a lot of people frittered away their cash, and purchased new cars every year Ole Duke Purchased used and drove them 10 + years.  B)   And stayed home or went cheapo and didn't go on elaborate vacations. Not too many people can retire at 57. :o  That Dave Rambsy Guy......... He musta took lessons from me.... Cause Iv'e been  doing his techniques for 30+ years.  :thumbsup:  If it wasn't for that.... Id be buying a Chinese bargin brand outfit.   Again Thanks To all of you for helping me make the correct decision you guys are the Best! 

• Like 2