For you guys with your own websites how long did it take to get a decent traffic? I launched my site 3 days ago and wondering how long i can expect to get traffic. Ive been tweeting and facebooking. Figured it would take a while for google to notice me. Etc...

For you guys with your own websites how long did it take to get a decent traffic? I launched my site 3 days ago and wondering how long i can expect to get traffic. Ive been tweeting and facebooking. Figured it would take a while for google to notice me. Etc...

PM your link and let me check it out...

I get roughly 100 hits or so per day which isn't bad with it being half done. out of those 100 hits I get roughly 35 jobs out of it. Remember your website is a tool to help sell don't rely on it to be the only means of money. And like wild said send us your link also did you check if you show up on any of the web browsers?

It will take a few days for search bots to find and catalog a new domain name. There is a way to "register" domains with google so that they show up in search results faster than just waiting for the search bot to find it. I tried it once but not sure it made any real difference in anything.

Pmed you Dawn.

Jesse as for traffic...thats a big variable.

Having a site and having google log it doesnt guarantee traffic.

Its up to you to advertise and promote your site.

Ebay didnt make a profit until 5 years..at year 3 they were in the hole and about to pull the plug.

I did a website for a customer and months went by and she had no orders..she was pissed at me. I told her I only build it I cant drive people to it. She had ads all over town but none of her ads had her web address! Her business cards didnt even have the web address. I told her she has to promote it! This never sunk in to her thick head and 2 years later she closed up her site and 6 months later closed her store. She blamed me! People think as soon as they get a website up they will have orders rolling in.....this isnt gonna happen.

I need someone to give me a price on setting up a website. pm me

with all the help I get on here I will do it for nothing.

Oops didn't see your post GC...

http://www.google.com/webmasters/  Also, make sure to go and log in to there adsense and start making money...

Also make sure to submit your URL to google.. Before you do it make sure to have the right keywords...

http://www.google.com/submityourcontent/website-owner/

post-5398-0-37991800-1405442395_thumb.jp

I belong to a website provider that has a shipping cart and it costs a lil more but it helps you build an ecommerce store. It also works with Paypal for payments, lets you create coupons. If interested its called WIX.com. Getting better every month with new services and apps. I also want to clear up I get about  35 jobs a week from it. Sometimes nothing at all.

after spending the past 3 hours on the phone with Google Technical Service, I'll tell you everything I heard while its still fresh in my head.

The old ways of meta tags and inserting keywords in the <head> tag of HTML are being phased out and will be dead very, very soon. ( if you don't know what that means, don't worry. you wont need it)

There are 3 primary ways to get your website traffic up:

1 - Original, Organic content. If your selling products, write original product descriptions. Add category pages with descriptions about items in that category. write up how-to articles ( if that applies to you ) and so on. Put as much information and be as descriptive as possible. This is the what the bots that crawl the net are looking for. On that subject, add content on a regular basis. When the bots come back and search your site for content and it constantly finds new stuff, you will be bumped up the rankings of Google searches as your site is looked at as an active, changing site.

2 - Backlinks. This is where you have links to your site on other websites. As the bots surf the net and see that there are links on other sites that refer back to yours, that will bump you up the rankings. A good example would be making how-to videos on YouTube, and putting a link to your website in the video description.

3 - PPC Advertising.  Pay-Per-Click is exactly as it sounds. You pay money to have your site pop up in search results, and only pay when someone actually clicks on your link. you can do this through Google directly and also on Facebook too.

Social media is a great tool as well. I have a few niche markets, one of them being fire & emergency service graphics, decals, and promo products. I pay for likes on facebook, which increases my audience, ( currently a little over 20,000 likes) and when I post pictures of completed jobs, I get plenty of messages asking for me to quote something else. My ROI is fantastic. and every time I increase my advertising budget, I have not been disappointed

I recommend setting up a Google AdWords account (PPC Ads) and calling customer service. They have great people and are very willing to help and explain things step by step. When I first started, it all looked like chinese and I really didn't know what I was doing. it took a few months of me being stubborn and wasting money to finally call them and figure out how to use it properly.

as far as ecommerce, I use Shopify (shopify.com) The best part of this platform is the open end for software developers to make apps to integrate into the software to make it do exactly what you need to do. My favorite add-on was a product customizer where customers can customize decals and other products and see their item in real-time. once its finished, I can get a high quality render to print off exactly as the customer designed it.

• Like 2

meta tage keywords are not used as heavily as they once were to rank search results, but they are still used. the meta tag description is an important tag though. It controls what is displayed under the title in most all search engines. Have a good, short, clear descprition there will help people know what the page is about and more likely to click on it.

meta tage keywords are not used as heavily as they once were to rank search results, but they are still used. the meta tag description is an important tag though. It controls what is displayed under the title in most all search engines. Have a good, short, clear descprition there will help people know what the page is about and more likely to click on it.

In my rambling I think i forgot to elaborate on it. You are correct Shadow, what I was referring to was the old ways of using all your key words in the meta tag field, with the new Google algorithms, it will actually be detrimental to your rankings to do it the old way. Yes you do want a short description in there, but most eCommerce platforms will do it for you. I know with shopify, there is a section while setting up your store that asks you "  write a short description about your store " and under it you are limited to 140 characters. This is what they will place in your meta tag.