MadHatterGraphix

How do you get the etching to show better?

Now I know I do things on the cheap and charge more but after etching my brothers Marilyn Monroe I have been trying to get it to show up better. I have it in the frame and from straight on light its hard to tell anything is there. However when the light is coming from the side you can see the etching perfectly. How do I get it to show up better?

Also I'm etching Glass mugs for the Houdini club of Wisconsin (got the rights dad has been a member ever since before he got married). I showed a member a prototype (jaybird has seen it) and He already ordered a set or 4. Realizing I under priced for him I don't make any profit with, product, stencil, abrasive, and electricity, or my time. Plus every one I sell the Group makes 10% so I figure maybe I should charge slightly more than $10 like maybe $12.50 each and see what happens.

Hatter the problem you are having is the main reason that I etch from the back. You can etch deeper and that helps catch the light but I also use the 12 volt led lights, they really catch the light and make the etching pop out.

Bob

• Like 1

I use AO and run about 80 PSI  It gives a deep rich look

I use aluminum Oxide also the issue is the glass is thin its just the glass from a picture frame. Would reverse etching change the look of it that much? so the etching is on the back wouldn't 80 psi etch through the glass quick? Like I said use to doing mugs and glasses.

Hatter I also use 120 ao from a pressure pot at 20-30 psi as it give me more time to etch deeper without tearing up my resist.  I have also found that to much pressure can mark the glass behind the mask without tearing it up so you don't notice it until you are finished and cleaning the glass that it is ruined. That is just my preference but it works for me. I also like to use at least 1/4 " glass because I can go deeper without worry of breakage. Alot of my pieces are cut as deep as cheap picture frame glass is thick. I don't pay for my glass so I have the luxury of using at least 1/4 " on everything. This piece is 3/8" etched to about 1/16. Hope the info helps

Bob

post-6565-0-69198000-1405264342_thumb.jp

• Like 1

I take it you go to the local glass shop and ask for the scraps or even hardware stores? And there is no hope with getting the Marilyn Monroe to show up better?

Deeper etch. Probably can't accomplish with an air eraser. More aggressive abrasive, more pressure, etc. More like carving, than just etching.

Hatter when I really got started I went to a glass shop and tried to buy a piece of glass for my cabinet and started talking to the guy about etching for awhile. When I went back to get the glass I had made a mug with his logo on it. He gave me the glass and said he always had customers asking about etching for wine cabinets and things. All of the smaller shoppes know each other and word gets around. Now I have four shoppes I do a little work for. Gets them business and I can just go in and get what ever glass I need. They now save me the larger pieces and I just cut it as I need for the size. I have enough glass in my shop to last awhile. They also tend to have a lot of mirror laying around also. If they don"t have what I need I can just cut off a piece.

• Like 2

Hatter the problem you are having is the main reason that I etch from the back. You can etch deeper and that helps catch the light but I also use the 12 volt led lights, they really catch the light and make the etching pop out.

Bob

Does it look bad if you etch deep on the front side?

rlvied do you have or know of a video I could watch to see how this is done. I'm thinking of starting to etch myself. I know I can't learn all from a video but it does help a little. :huh:

I take it you go to the local glass shop and ask for the scraps or even hardware stores? And there is no hope with getting the Marilyn Monroe to show up better?

Edge lighting like Rlvied has. Inexpensive LED's can be bought and put into bases.

post-1636-0-60249100-1405347686_thumb.jp

• Like 4

Jay nice work. what is that base made from looks good.Dawns here is a link to some videos and you can get more from there. https://www.youtube.com/user/etchrobert/videos 

Darcshadow you will not get the same effect from the front. Better from the back because you can see the edge light better. I will try to shoot some pictures of the same piece from both side so you can see what I mean

Bob

The base was 3D printed from ABS. The design is etched in lexan purchased from Lowes. 80 Grit AO from Harbor Freight in a small blast cabinet. Etching is not very deep, you can barely feel a ridge.

Thanks for the info Jay. Do you have a 3d printer? I tried to etch lexan once, all you can do is frost it no depth. Like etching stainless steel same result.

Your design shows up well though.

I had one but sold it. Just didn't use it and the material was expensive for the one I had. I was happy with how the etching showed up using the edge lighting. Here is another one I did.

post-1636-0-28021000-1405356150_thumb.jp

• Like 1

Thanks for the info Jay. Do you have a 3d printer? I tried to etch lexan once, all you can do is frost it no depth. Like etching stainless steel same result.

Your design shows up well though.

I would think lexan being a "plastic" would etch easier than glass. Is it that the edges of the etching are not as sharp and crisp when you try to go deep?

I would think lexan being a "plastic" would etch easier than glass. Is it that the edges of the etching are not as sharp and crisp when you try to go deep?

It just doesn't go deeper.

Nice job Jay did  you also make that base? Shadow Jay is right about the depth. It is so soft it seems to kinda melt a little and move around. If that is a good description. I tried Corian one time what a failure.

Yes, I made the wood base too. I've been trying to find a simple base design. The 3D printed is definately the easiest. I found some connectors that clip to the LED strips so no soldering is required. They have the female power connector on the other end. The LED strips slide into the base and I fasten the connector to the base with two sided tape. Slide the female connector into the hole and I'm done.  

post-1636-0-98746000-1405360183_thumb.pn

• Like 1

I want to thank you both for showing us all your work and telling us all this very useful information. I haven't done much lately been working on others things. I did get mirrors and hoping to finally get the image I have been trying to etch in mirror for the last 2 yrs.