mxracer394

Help choosing new software

I have started doing more and more race car graphics and decided maybe I should try one of the high dollar softwares. I currently use sign blazer and ink scape. What is the most user friendly software that want break the bank to much.

Flexi 10 starter from the big auction site.

(From my understanding, Flexi 'starter' will not provide RIP capabilities, but in your circumstances, that should not be a drawback)

Give vinyl master pro or expert a look at.I was like you and loved signblazer my self so to me the closest thing I have found to it is VMP. It has a free fully functional trial version you just can not cut from it.

Flexi starter lacks more than just rip capabilities. Lately vinyl master has been getting good reviews or try illustrator and my choice corel draw

I don't have any experience with Flexi or VM...

I think CorelDraw would be the one to try...

Plus, with the right plug-in you can cut from it...

or copy & paste into Sign Blazer.

Sue2

• Like 1

I Don't know the exact monthly subscription rate, don't think the Pro version is that high, though. I bought it outright....

Skarekrow do you like VM? I have been using Inkscape and signcut and some of my files that I saved jumble from Inkscape to Signcut. So I was considering going to an all in one program. Any thoughts on how good or bad it is?

Thanks

Butch

Yeah I had them send me the trial cd. But was just curious as to what others might think about it. Is it a all in one program, to design and cut all in one?

Thanks

Butch

I'm pretty happy with VinylMaster pro...it has some really good points and covers most every need for vector work.

Unfortunately, there are many things I prefer to do in Inkscape and some Raster based, prep chores that VMP's just not up to.

It handles text and text effects REALLY well and this is one of my main interests in it. Inkscape, Illustrator, and of coarse, Photoshop, (and I think even Corel) are no where close to the ease that Text effects and styles can be had with the click of a mouse.

It also comes with a decent font manager that is really helping out with font organization and

comes with10,000 fonts that are already sorted.

The cutter section handles everything I have thrown at it so far with no effort. Flenty of flexibility.

Node editing has been a little different that What I've grown so accustomed to in Inkscape... Not bad, just different.

I jump back and forth between the 2 often and with ease... I already had and knew to work with svg format and it is seamless.

As I mentioned, I'm very happy with my purchase and now that I've had it a couple of months, found a few small

things I hope to see addressed in upgrades... Like changing the cursor to see it better in different situations.

The workaround for some note edit work is to do it in wireframe, as the default, black one is impossible to see

on a black background. Surely it will be addressed in new releases.

There are other advantages and reasons I bought in... I really like that you never need and internet connection.

It's also seemed to be the most reasonably priced, dedicated cutting software in its class.

I love it and just like skarekrow said the node editing is my only dislike. It is great software though

Butch,

Are you using mainly svg's or eps?

I used those 2 programs (Inkscape and SignCut) for a couple of years with svg's with no problems whatsoever.

Skarekrow I mostly use svg format. Especially when I save a file from inkscape. But I found a bunch of my files got jumbled so I was looking at another avenue just to see if I could make it easier on myself. Thanks for the input though I think I will give the trial a shot and see how I like it.

Butch

The trial is good.. everything works but you can only cut their sample files, not the ones you create.

I have been playing with the trial and like others I don't really like the node editing. I LOVE SB but as everyone knows thats not going to be an option for ever and I would like to make the switch to something else on my terms and not because I have to. I tried SCALP and am NOT impressed, actually I think its horrible. I saw it on the auction site for $245, anyone have any leads on better pricing? Not that I think that is to high, just every bit I can save stays in my pocket LOL

If you're talking VinylMaster, I say send them a note and ask them what's the bottom dollar they'll take for it.

That's what I did and saved a few bucks. That was after I made an offer he turned down, though.

Hey.  I was reading this topic, went to reply, and somehow replied to an another topic that was months old.  Anyhow, what I was saying was the developer release of Inkscape has a new extension to send directly to a plotter.  To save me some typing, here is the link to the other topic I posted in:

http://forum.uscutter.com/index.php?/topic/40978-software/page-2

Screenshot:

export-plot.png

I played around with that a little once. I had to create a batch file to send the HPGL file to the plotter and it did work. However the HPGL file created by inkscape is exactly what you see on screen. Cutting software adds a blade offset, over cut, and a few other tweaks so the plotter produces a good product.