Sign in to follow this  
latitude42

Re[lacement for Pcut 630

ok, my Pcut is OLD!!!! I still use it EVERY day and am very familiar with SignBlazer but, I'm getting so damn busy whith this thing that I'm thinking of getting something newer and that way I have a backup. Any sugestions on a new one... I have yet to have a need for cuntour cut as I dont print vinyl, but is it something good to have just in case??

Any thoughts???

Move up to a servo cutter, you won't be sorry. Titan2 or the most popular one the graphtecs

Think of it this way --   the basic technology of all cutters was developed back in the late 1950's by Hewlett Packard, and the plotting programming is still a variation on HPGL.

The developer of SignBlazer (Jerry Bonham) was a programming wizard and knew how to incorporate all sorts of drivers for cutters into his little sign-making application -- all based on the HPGL standard (or DMPL).

Although your cutter is "old" it still functions EXACTLY like any newer one you will purchase.

The only advantage of getting a standby unit is to avoid waiting two or three days for a replacement to arrive in case yours decides to fail. Since these things are mechanically fairly simple and robust, failure is not something you would really expect (unless a motherboard craps out or something electronic of that nature).

If I was in your position, I would be setting aside a bit of cash every week from all that work, in a "Fund" that can build up over time until you have an amount sufficient to go grab a Graphtec.

• Like 2

I to have an old pcut 630. Have been using it on and off the last 10 year. Mostly on now and also thinking about a new cutter. That said, the pcut has been a great cutter and I have no real reason to replace it. I think I will do as posted "put a little bit aside"