efimage

Does anybody usa a Line Conditioner or UPS on their Cutter ?

Does anybody keep their vinyl cutter on a ups (uninterruptible power supply) or Line Conditioner?  I am debating whether to use one on my Graphtec.  The power in my house is a little iffy when we have our air conditioner (windows units on) for example when my daughters air is on the lights in my dining room dim. My Cutter is in the dining room but it is plugged into a different circuit which is on a 20amp breaker and only has the fridge on it.  I am more concerned about keeping the voltage even on my equipment then having a battery back up.

From doing some research it looks like the cheaper UPS’s that have AVR ( Automatic Voltage Regulator) put out stepped or square sine waves? which are bad for motors.  I do have an older Smart-UPS that puts out a pure sine wave which just needs a new battery. I also have a Trip-lite LC1200 Line conditioner but I am not sure if that puts out a pure sine wave.

I really do not know all that much when it comes to sine vs square waves power etc.  Do you guys have any experience with this?  Are the motors in the cutter powered by a separate power supply?  Am I going overboard and should just leave it plugged in as is ?

I'm not sure about Graphtec but my Summa has a power supply built in which takes120-240VAC and converts it to 27 volts DC.  From the power supply the 27VDC goes to the motherboard then out to the motors.  I just have mine plugged into a surge protector.

I believe most all cutters have an AC-DC converter within them so the square vs sign wave really doesn't matter the DC converter filters it all down to a constant voltage level.

I have my cutting computer and cutter on one battery backup. It has saved me a few times and paid for itself. I also have my design computer and network on another battery backup.

edit: The backup for my cutter is a pure sine wave model by cyber power. It was about twice the cost of the one I use for my design and network that isn't pure sine wave. I have had a few outages while cutting some big jobs and it's paid for itself in wasted time and materials.

I have my cutting computer and cutter on one battery backup. It has saved me a few times and paid for itself. I also have my design computer and network on another battery backup.

+1