precisiondesigns

Wet application and Trailer screws?

I'm new to owning my own machine. Although I've applied on many racecars, I haven't applied on a trailer til this week. I've never applied over screws this big, I used rapidtac and tried to apply it, but the vinyl did not want to stick beside the screws, and it's a 4 foot by 20 inch so I was scared away from laying it dry. It took a lot of heat and about 3 hours to actually get the vinyl to lay over the screws. I would like to think there is an easier way to do this? Thanks everyone, Shawn

some have applied pressure with rolling a tennis ball over screws...  I have seen it here on the forum...

some customers want the screws removed prior to installation, others do not. for those that do not, I lay the vinyl as normal leaving the excess bubble over the screw/rivet. after the vinyl is on and applied as normal, I then go back with a heat gun and pin and make a small hole in the center of the screw/rivet and work the excess air out.

• Like 2

we don't really give the customer a choice, we tell them before install if at all possible we are going to remove screws prior to installation in any area the vinyl will hit.

we have laid graphics on many trailers it's far less headache if you just remove them.

the trick is to layout your graphics on trailer and then only remove screws the vinyl will hit.

• Like 1

Ive never done anything on a car or truck (other than my own) and I want that thing,

I would never use a torch on vinyl. Endless it's a wrap vinyl designed to be heated.

I always remove the rivets when I can.

If I can't i work the vinyl around the rivot.

Just ordered one of those RollePro tools, got it off ebay for $59 shipped. One of the listed suppliers wanted $51 plus $15 for shipping. That thing is so small i dont see how it would cost $15 to ship it! I have shipped large boxes of shirts and hats for cheaper then that.

when you have hot 15000 rivets on a trailer, you really gunna do everyone with a heat gun? Man, that is going to take a long time. 

• Like 1

what do u do shawn?

the way he did it in the video made it seem really fast...faster than removing all the rivets/bolts and putting them back.

Takes time to learn it, you will burn a bunch but while learning. Heat guns have their places in wraps. But not over trailer rivets. 

i have about 15-20 rivets per side on this semi truck i have to do, i think a heat gun will be ok...but i dont have a propane torch i have a map-gas torch, which gets hotter then propane, not sure if i dare try that.

From the RollePro web page

Buyer represents and warrants that it will use 3M film products when teaching or performing the method described in the above referenced patent application. The rights are expressly revoked if Buyer teaches and/or performs the method with a non-3M film product. Further licenses of these patents and patent applications are available for a negotiated royalty.

Does this mean if you don't use 3M film you could be sued?

Not likely you'd be sued but, it does sound like they will not guarantee the performance when used with non-3M products.

Lol dont see how they will enforce it.

Kinda like saying your new electronic device must use Energizer batteries so dont dare stick Duracel batteries in it. Lol

Again..I don't see how they can enforce it.

They can state it is designed for use with 3M products...but its still a tool. My wrench was designed to turn nuts and bolts but I still use it as a hammer now and then lol and craftsman hasnt sued me yet.

As far as teaching..im sure they mean on a professional paid level at seminars and expos. If I wanna teach my wife how to use it on a non 3m product theres nothing they can do.