Dakotagrafx

new promotion

not sure I like the pic of uncle Karl apparently crapping on the new 3d printer - or maybe that is what it uses to extrude the product - either way seems creepy

in reality I think it was just a poorly planned photoshoped pic
ps not my real uncle we have just had him around so long it is like a long lost uncle you hardly hear from LOL

post-2742-0-70488900-1404841440_thumb.pn

I didn't get the photo either but the announcement is exciting.  I have no money to buy one, no need to buy one, nothing to make with one, but I WANT ONE!!

Like any new technology they will continue to get better and better and cheaper and cheaper.  If someone is good enough with 3D CAD work the time seems right to buy one and start a business building prototypes for inventors that can't buy their own.

• Like 1

I had a 3D printer and sold it. Didn't really have a home use for it.

One of the other guys here in town that does vinyl out of his home also bought a 3D printer.  So far he hasn't done much worthwhile with it and doesn't think he'll ever get his money back out of it, but he does have fun playing with it!

I want one - I don't need one - and no idea what I'd actually do with one, but that doesn't stop me from looking at them...

I could see a shop having one and allowing people to come in and use it, kind of like a rent a tool thing. There would need to be some kind of free software, or very cheap software, the customer could have at home, do all the design work then just bring in the file and have it "printed". I know there have been several little one off things that a 3D printer would of been able to do for me, but no way would it of been worth the cost of buying one. But if I could of designed the thing and sent the file to a shop and had it made for me for a few bucks that would of been great.

I don't see the day of a shop renting one for client designed DIY objects anytime soon, from what I've read many design elements require bridging and layer (thickness, speed) modification that one without background would overlook, which without would result in failure. Most of the lower cost machine that I've heard about on associated forums still require a good deal of pre-tinkering to produce acceptable product.

Read just this week one of the area libraries has dedicated space to a soon to be opened design area which includes a MakerBot. Projected cost for one to make a braclet was less than $2, didn't state the material. Gotta wonder how soon before that machine goes down due to someone knocking an axis out of alignment.

I do see the day fast approaching where someone will market a sealed viewable vending cabinet with predetermined menu of designs to select from to place in a retail lobby or Museum..

Google Sketchup is free design software and with an added STL plug-in you can read and generate .stl files for 3D printing.

http://www.sketchup.com/

Most printers come with their own software to read .stl files and ready them for printing.

There is a large market for 3D printed items out there.

Shapeways is a website where you can market and sell your 3D printed creations. Some are even printed out of metal.

http://www.shapeways.com/?etId=17131219&utm_medium=email&utm_source=sw-email-8&utm_campaign=20140709&ca=email&ct=20140709

GrabCAD is a Website/Library to share 3D designs that can be downloaded for free and printed by anyone.

https://grabcad.com/home