Dakotagrafx

non vinyl project

bought one of those ultra mini thumb drives (32gb) and soon found out it is darn near impossible to grasp to remove it from the computer.  so put on a lanyard and first pull it breaks the little thin plastic the lanyard attaches to.  thought to myself - what would tony do (friend on here from ga) and came up with this - not as refinded as he would do but should get the job done!

second pic is similar thumb drive for comparison - first is my solution - a little piece of oak and some cutting, sanding, etc,  Should be easier to grip and not as easy to misplace!

post-2742-0-93260400-1404795065_thumb.jp

post-2742-0-98168600-1404795086_thumb.jp

• Like 2

So you actually made the thing bigger with a block of wood?

I would have retained the original miniature dimensions of the device, and merely done some minor plastic welding (I keep a used soldering iron around for that purpose and have a box with a few pieces of scrap plastic that can be melted and formed into shape, for repairs on plastic stuff that snaps/breaks).

Heck, this is even the type of project that a 3D Printer would come in handy for.

3d printer would have been great but adding old school to new school seemed to be a good match to get the job done, besides it looked too much like a bluetooth dongle i have and it was so hard to find on the desk

Try a small piece of grip / stair thread tape. Works wonders on slides for our elderly clients 

problem was when inserted you didn't even have 1/4" to grab - even if it had a better gripping surface it was just too small - I kinda like the oak look - maybe when I build the new computer it should be in an oak case LOL

wooden-pc-case-3.jpg

• Like 5

Those small thumb drives ar made for dash boards of newer cars that have a USB port.

My dash doesn't have a USB port but does have one for cassette tapes.

• Like 3

It's still hard to believe they can fit 32gigs on something that small. It wasn't that long ago that 32gigs was beyond comprehension for the home computer user.

"It wasn't that long ago that 32gigs was beyond comprehension for the home computer user."

It wasn't that long ago that 2MB was beyond comprehension for the home computer user ---

1.44MB disk was standard maximum storage capacity.

obsolete03_t607.jpg

I got one of those mini dongles for my wireless mouse for the laptop I leave it in cause of that factor it so small cant grip it. So I can imagine a mini thumb drive. I don't mind the normal sized thumb drives, easier to find, easier to pull out of the computer. I like the fix though Dakota.

• Like 1

Those small thumb drives ar made for dash boards of newer cars that have a USB port.

My dash doesn't have a USB port but does have one for cassette tapes.

not 8 track?

• Like 1

"It wasn't that long ago that 32gigs was beyond comprehension for the home computer user."

It wasn't that long ago that 2MB was beyond comprehension for the home computer user ---

1.44MB disk was standard maximum storage capacity.

I still remember the 360kb 5-1/4' floppies.

post-1636-0-19532900-1404838162_thumb.jp

• Like 1

I remember installing Autocad from 10 of these floppy disks. I don't think I could fit one Autocad drawing on 10 of them now.