Sign in to follow this  
eddieb378

Jpss and 3G

Do you guys contour cut both of these?and if you do the jpss do you cut all the way through or do you just cut the thin layer?

I just hand trim the JPSS. If on white shirts you just have to get reasonably close and remove the straight lines from the edges and you will never see it. You can hand trim the 3G as well if you don't have a cutter that will contour or like me your printer is too small to leave enough room around the edges to get a decent sized image. 

I only contour cut 3g with a cutter if it's highly detailed or a large run of the same design. Scissors are just faster.

• Like 1

I use siser mask if there are pieces that can move around otherwise I just cover with parchment before pressing

I contour cut both with a negative .001 offset path if the design merits it. If it's a simple design I cut it with an x-acto or scissors. I do not cut into the backing paper.

I'm still experimenting with masks. 3G seems a little harder to work with and the contour cut depth is critical. I've had pretty good luck using leftover transfer mask from thermoflex. 

I think I'll try Siser mask as Jay's advice is pretty solid.

With any mask avoid the temptation to use over and over because there tends to be dye migration to the mask when pressed and it can show up on the next transfer if reused. BTW I got that tidbit about sisermask from Dakota and it can be a lifesaver.

With any mask avoid the temptation to use over and over because there tends to be dye migration to the mask when pressed and it can show up on the next transfer if reused. BTW I got that tidbit about sisermask from Dakota and it can be a lifesaver.

You really only get one crack with it. It leaves behind a witness (using Epson with Cobra ink) that undoubtedly would contaminate anything else you tried to use it on.

I tried once and lets just say I had a nice rag.

Do you guys contour cut both of these?and if you do the jpss do you cut all the way through or do you just cut the thin layer?

Yes I do.  

I only cut the top, not all the way through.  And if the design is more complex than a square (guillotine paper cutter) - it gets contour cut.

I use 4075 RLA as my 'mask' with these products.  It is perfectly suited for it and works great with each different type of paper / application.