Marie925

What is this sign blank?

I need to get another blank to match this one. It is 16-inches by 16-inches. It seems to be aluminum but in layers. It looks like the front is covered in tan vinyl and then the black is placed on top of it. I don't think the tan is part of the blank - I do believe it is vinyl. 

Can anyone tell me exactly what this blank is and possibly where to get one? 

post-87219-0-51990000-1404741778_thumb.j

post-87219-0-78053800-1404741793_thumb.j

Kinda looks like 2 aluminum blanks sandwiched to add depth to the sign. I can't see the telltale black edge of dijon in the picture.

There definitely isn't a black core. But it does seem to have some sort of core. It does seem to be two pieces sandwiched together too. Two pieces each having a top layer, core, and bottom layer EACH. 

I might just have to take this existing one down and investigate further. The signs were placed by the previous owner of the property, and the new owner took down the one that had the farm name on it and threw it away. I wish he had kept it, but oh well. So now he wants one with his farm name on it to replace the one he threw away.

Did he specifically request it be the exact same material? Just get something that will meet the targeted lifespan. He wont care what its mounted to if it lasts as long as he wants it to.

• Like 1

looks like 1/4" luster board to me. Layered plywood with .032 aluminium on both sides, we used to use the stuff all the time.

• Like 1

I think the luster board maybe it! Thank you! Is that something you can only purchase from specialty sign suppliers? Are there any places that sell pre-cut sign blanks or do you cut your own?

when we did use it, we got it from Denco in 4x8 sheets. Now we use MDO, better lift.

If you do use it DO NOT use endcaps. We found the endcaps make the sign retain water and end up causing the sign to blister after a couple years.

Yep 1/2" LUSTER BOARD 4x8 will run about 2 bills. Or get 16'X16" .024 aluminum panel and1/2" MDO... some outdoor contact cement and laminate your own for about 60 total.

when we did use it, we got it from Denco in 4x8 sheets. Now we use MDO, better lift.

If you do use it DO NOT use endcaps. We found the endcaps make the sign retain water and end up causing the sign to blister after a couple years.

Would that be vinyl laminated White Wood or Omega?

Did you prime and use sealant between channel and edge? Never had Luster de-laminate nor MDO. I knock sharp edge down... always fill any edge voids with caulking, prime, paint. Have had sign panels up for 20+ yrs a little faded but still serviceable.