gcextreme

First Large Vehicle Project....

Thanks for the share DS I've got a boat that someone wants more color on, and that will help.

Congrats on the big truck job.

Thanks for all the support guys...and gals.

What will be the best method for removing the old vinyl?

Ive used a heat gun to remove stuff off my truck plenty of times, as well as one of the 3M Vinyl Eraser wheels you put in a drill...

I just dont want to ruin the pain on the truck.

I figure heat gun low heat and slowly work at it...

Ok a few updates..

1. Got all my vinyl in. 2 rolls of 751 purple, 1 roll of 751 black, 1 roll of 751 grey.

2. Got washing supplies, a new water hose, some scrub brushes and sponges, and even spent $298 on a new toy, a brand new 3100psi Pressure Washer. Always wanted one for washing my truck and motorcycle and atvs here at home, no need to haul them to town to wash them. Plus i already got more money coming in,my neighbor said he would pay me $50 to pressure wash his house down!! lol I should add House Washing to my list of services now!

3. Working on the graphics and sizes for the truck, getting everything laid out in signblazer and ready to cut. Will not actually cut it out until the rig is in my driveway for me to apply.

4. Also ordered one of those RollePro rollers for going over rivets. 

5. I have two heat guns and long extension cords, but i will probably have to borrow an extension ladder from my landlord or from work to get up to the top parts of the cab...so that will be another tool i will soon invest in.

Also, what stuff do you recommend for removing the glue/sticky stuff left over from the vinyl? In the past i have used GooGone on small decals. I saw some similar stuff called Krud Getter or something like that at walmart...seemed to be very similar. Anyone have any experience with that or any other stuff they would recommend.

Semi trucks are fun... I just did a fleet of 15 trucks ... they were 30 and 350 miles away, split 50/50. I did 8 of them one day (they removed the old decals!!) and they drove me over to the other place and put me up in a hotel and I did the other 7 in a day also... + one day of cutting vinyl at the start. So three days.. $500 in materials... $4500. I'd do that again in a heartbeat! Almost enough to replace my 6 year old Pcut!!!!

• Like 2

Also, what stuff do you recommend for removing the glue/sticky stuff left over from the vinyl? In the past i have used GooGone on small decals. I saw some similar stuff called Krud Getter or something like that at walmart...seemed to be very similar. Anyone have any experience with that or any other stuff they would recommend.

I've heard good things about Simple Green for removal of sticky stuff. Haven't tried it personally, I do know it does a great job on oil/grease though.

Rapid remover works well for removing adhesive residue. I bought mine from beacon graphics since USCutter doesn't carry rapid tac products.

Nope...their shipping schedule changed. He is bringing me the first truck on Tuesday the 29th. I will have u until Sunday to get it done...of course weather permitting.

For those of you following this thread...

First truck arrived this evening. The wife and i started removing the old stuff of the truck, got most of it off from one side, the wife started some on the other side. Going to tackle the rest of it tomorrow morning, and hopefully by lunch i will be cutting the new stuff and putting it on.

I've got vacation time at my job, so i took Monday off from work to get this done, Tuesday if needed too.

• Like 1

thanks post before and after pictures.

Pictures..

Before

20140703_133230_zpsyrxn3hqp.jpg

after..

its not perfect..its my first big truck..and im learning.

The customers arent too picky..they are only gonna keep these truck for maybe another 4 years he said then they are getting newer ones.

20140729_173934_zpsruzliynx.jpg

• Like 1

Looks better than before. the colors bring out the truck paint. Its one of them you driving past it look then you turn back around to look again. the first pic I would look and thats it. Nice work

Hate to say this but I probably would have used silver.   

The name on the door is hard to read.  

It just feel too dark on dark.   

Other then that I like the design changes.  

They didnt want silver...I wanted to use a lighter grey but the light grey wouldnt look good on the lavender paint of the truck...on the purple the light grey would have been better.

On a side note..I used my new RollePro to go over the rivet heads...worked well with the 751

20140729_192304_zpsyirqevsp.jpg

• Like 4

They didnt want silver...I wanted to use a lighter grey but the light grey wouldnt look good on the lavender paint of the truck...on the purple the light grey would have been better.

In that case the customer is always right.  To a certain extent.  LOL

Nice Job!

Interested more in that roller pro.  I've not done rivets in years and I ended up drinking vodka (lots) last time I fooled with them

• Like 1

Customer picked up the rig..gave me a check and left the 2nd rig..started removing the old stuff.

Customer picked up the rig..gave me a check and left the 2nd rig..started removing the old stuff.

Hell yea!!!!!

Congrats. Hope this is the first of many more ! Look good for first big job.

Thanks guys, just spent the last 3.5hrs removing the old graphics off the passenger side, got her all scrubbed up and cleaned up. I used the chemical called Rapid Remover to help removed the sticky residue, along with some GooGone.

Really loving my new pressure washer too.

20140728_131134_zpsgp6uex3n.jpg