gcextreme

First Large Vehicle Project....

So i got a trucking company that was referred to me, and they want me to redo 2 of their trucks...

they want it to look similar to what they have now, which is currently fading/cracking/peeling etc.

20140703_133230_zpsyrxn3hqp.jpg

20140703_133216_zpsbtpxy68j.jpg

I am going to be doing a dark purple and a grey, and black in some areas.

The doors will be easy. As well as the little door in the back with their DOT #'s.

The part up top that says Long Haul Trucking will be pretty easy too, as well as the 3 digit numbers on the front fenders.

What will be difficult is reproducing the fancy stripes.

I gave them a "quote" of $700 a truck. (so $1400 total) and told them that was just a base quote, and the price may change, depending on how long it takes me to remove all the old stuff..

They gave me a down payment of $400. They are going to drop off one truck at my house in 2 weeks, then the other one when i am done.

They said the stuff thats on there now is barely 3 years old and they were really disappointed in it.

So what i need help with is this:

1: Should i order 751 vinyl (black, grey, purple), or should i just use the 651 i have??

2: Where can i find a vector for the lined pinstripe there, or one similar to it.

3: where can i find the specs for the MN DOT for the DOT license numbers??

They don't seem really picky, they said as long as its nice and clean and looks good.

• Like 1

Thanks...im super excited...and nervous too!!

Any help and advice would be great.

I ran the numbers in my head, i took measurements and tried the HxW/2 method..and doing that i came out to about $1000 per side!! I just couldnt see it being that much.

• Like 1

If they don't care to match exactly I'd just look around for any stripe package and find something that looks good. Personally, that design looks like something from the 90's to me.

DOT #'s are a federal standard I believe and it is something about clearly legible from 50 ft. We do all ours in 2" and have never had a problem. I'd go with 751 or 951 because OTR trucks see a lot of abuse and as far as the stripes if they want a match I'd redraw them from the picture.

Ok so 2"...for the DOT Numbers. Is there a specific format/layout for them?

Also i am trying to recreate the stripe swoosh, but where would i get a similar design from thats cleaner? 

Otherwise i was thinking of taking like a lightning bolts and stretching it out and altering it to kinda match.

Also they said they may only have these two trucks for another 5 years then they are getting new ones...and hopefully they will come back to me to have me do them too!

If you want to match the swoosh, just take a good hi-res photo of it when you get it then do a trace with your program of choice. You'll have to clean it up some but shouldn't be too much work.

Or here's some random stripes I found on the forums and pulled into a single file.

post-25571-0-36460100-1404423799_thumb.p

Side Stripes.svg

• Like 3

Ok i am trying to figure out how much to order.

i think i will need the following

2 Rolls of 751 violet 24x10yds  (for a total of 20 yards)

1 Roll of 751 Grey 24x10yds

1 Roll of 751 Black 24x10yds.

Total price from USCUTTER with shipping $198.96.

So with about $200 in materials, plus APP Tape. Lets say $250-$300.

I figure 1 day to remove old stuff and clean and another day to install new vinyl, per truck. So 2 days per truck.

So 2 trucks, and thats 4 days.

Thats about $1000 in 4 days. Hmm beats my fulltime job of $456 before taxes lol

• Like 2

yeah that can make you happy. $456.00 before taxes

I figure 1 day to remove old stuff and clean and another day to install new vinyl, per truck. So 2 days per truck.

I've never done a truck like that but surely it won't take that long will it?

Well im not sure..its alot to remove and alot to clean up..will have to clean all the sticky residue off and hose down the rig and probably degrease it too.

If you want to match the swoosh, just take a good hi-res photo of it when you get it then do a trace with your program of choice. You'll have to clean it up some but shouldn't be too much work.

Or here's some random stripes I found on the forums and pulled into a single file.

Nice collection DS. Thanks for sharing!

Indeed, DS... Thanks,.... coupla those could prove handy.

I would use the opportunity and rethink the Drybrush graphics to incorporate "LHT" (Long Haul Trucking) into the flow. Fully Custom.

Definately be shooting for better flow between all the spotty appointments. looks like a bunch if stickers stuck all over.

The different elements of the design need to be working together better to introduce and support one another.

(Lemmee guess, "That's how the Client wants it to look". Sell them a better design)

90% of the dot #'s we do are arial or arial black. The other 10% range from old english to tribal because some truckers could care less what big brother says they have to do. 

• Like 1

Yeah I wasnt sure if it was too much or not enough.

When I said to them "about $700 a truck" I was nervous about what their response would be.

Yeah I wasnt sure if it was too much or not enough. When I said to them "about $700 a truck" I was nervous about what their response would be.

I like that.. confidence sells more than any other method.

I have a disc full of this type graphic. I'll post something as ssoon as I can locate it.  The removing and cleaning is the "fun" part.

I like that.. confidence sells more than any other method.
yep i went in with full confidence...took measurements and did the math and shot them the best price I could muster..lol

I have a disc full of this type graphic. I'll post something as ssoon as I can locate it.  The removing and cleaning is the "fun" part.

Awesome. .thanks

Yeah cant wait to get started!

I've never done a truck like that but surely it won't take that long will it?

I've done many semi's tractors and some full length 53' trailers, they are just as easy as anything.  I have a great person that I send pictures to and she can make me a vector file for any image I send her, this would probably run you 60 for a vector image, just going off what she has done in the past for me, it's so worth it to have a contact that can do that.  I can match any logo, any art, anything all because of her.  She is amazing.  Removing the old with be your biggest time issue, maybe have a second set of hands on duty that day, because some are easy, but you don't want to damage the surface, and if they have a lot of rock chips or scratches all ready, that makes it a little more difficult... but you'll be pleasantly surprised how easy it is... have supplies on hand, and do it inside, if you can... a slight breeze can sneak up on ya and cause a mess... ;)  Good Luck, looking forward to before and after pics!

• Like 1

just make sure they are not copyrighted - if on a disk I be there is a license agreement