Sign in to follow this  
eddieb378

My first try = Total FAIL

Well my first try and it looks like crap!the image is blurry and it don't look bright it's a real downerpost-5354-0-34197500-1404354614_thumb.jp

Need more info?   Was the image great to start with if so it should have stayed that way.  As far as the color what printer are you using and are you sure you printed on the bright white side of the paper?

Time temp and pressure ?

A little more info is need.

Like 300 said what side of the paper did you print on the dull side or the bright white side?

Always print on the bright white side.

What Temperature were you using? Always go 400 even if they tell ya different. I never had success at 389 degrees.

How much Time where you using? Rule of thumb 40-45 seconds I never go less but I do go more for items they tell me too but for metal inserts or anything metal I go 40 to 45 seconds.

How Much pressure did you use for metal I use mostly high pressure. Some have issues with the paper sticking I have not. Also download templates and use the bleed section you wont have that white line on the bottom.

Problem is, people think sublimation is find the image size it to somewhat the right size. Print it, and press it. It is a process that you have to adjust your printer for your templates, and your press. Not everyone is the same.

I am using the epson workforce 30 from cobra with high temp inks! As far as the paper I am using I can not see a difference in either side!I ordered it off eBay so that could be the problem!i will order some from Conde!the image looked clear as can be on the screen.

I got cardstock off ebay 1 time that they claimed was sub paper. I almost gave up because I didn't know better at the time. Buy paper from a reputable supplier like coasta, conde, bestblanks or whoever at least until you know what to look for. If you fold the paper over on itself the whiter side should jump out at you.

• Like 2

Also make sure you keep your paper sealed up in the plastic bags it comes in - you want it DRY when you use it, otherwise it will soak up humidity which will convert to steam while you're pressing, that can cause dull, washed out colors.

Also, how did you attach the transfer paper to the substrate?  Heat tape?  DyeTrans Pro Spray?  Just laid it on top?  How quickly did you remove the paper after releasing the press?   If the transfer isn't tight against the substrate while pressing, or if it's allowed to wiggle around, you'll get ghosting/smearing/blurring of your image.  I always recommend tearing the paper away as soon as you release the press, especially on metal substrates, or anything that will hold residual heat for any time.

Did you press with the substrate surface facing up and the transfer paper facing down?  You can flip some items (glass and ceramic tiles immediately come to mind), but you need to account for that and press longer as it takes a while for the heat to fully penetrate the substrate.

I pressed at 390 for 75 seconds light pressure I useded heat tape to secure it I put the substrate on-top with the paper on bottom.

Well you didn't fail on image selection  ;D

Appears to be the one and only William Brice Stadium!!

Good info,  Mad is right on with the time temp and pressure, the others are on with the paper.  DON'T buy sublimation stuff on ebay!!   About 98% is crap, unless someone tells you that they have first hand knowledge that it will work great. (Yes there is a limited few)  Most China poly is crap and I have a feeling a lot of folks over the years have gotten out of a good market because they spent good money on their equipment but then went as cheap as they could on the blanks.

Just doesn't work.   I could never understand why folks have to be cheap and buy on ebay for blanks just add one dollar to the price and buy from a good supplier not only will your life be much happier but the customer will be also.  If you feel you can't compete with the low prices o Etsy or ebay then Don't...

If you cant see a difference it sounds like you got ripped off on the paper.  If you didn't already leave him good feedback get a hold of him and find out why there isn't a light and dark side to the paper, and if its crap give him the negative feedback so the next person doesn't get ripped off.

You can see the difference in the paper...

Just got done pressing these

I

post-2057-0-56488500-1404394889_thumb.jp

post-2057-0-71391200-1404394907_thumb.jp

• Like 3

Well you didn't fail on image selection  ;D

Appears to be the one and only William Brice Stadium!!

that is correct
  • Like 1

I pressed at 390 for 75 seconds light pressure I useded heat tape to secure it I put the substrate on-top with the paper on bottom.

Way too long and that will cause blurring of the image ...Try 45 seconds 400 degrees peel right away

• Like 1

Good info,  Mad is right on with the time temp and pressure, the others are on with the paper.  DON'T buy sublimation stuff on ebay!!   About 98% is crap, unless someone tells you that they have first hand knowledge that it will work great. (Yes there is a limited few)  Most China poly is crap and I have a feeling a lot of folks over the years have gotten out of a good market because they spent good money on their equipment but then went as cheap as they could on the blanks.

Just doesn't work.   I could never understand why folks have to be cheap and buy on ebay for blanks just add one dollar to the price and buy from a good supplier not only will your life be much happier but the customer will be also.  If you feel you can't compete with the low prices o Etsy or ebay then Don't...

If you cant see a difference it sounds like you got ripped off on the paper.  If you didn't already leave him good feedback get a hold of him and find out why there isn't a light and dark side to the paper, and if its crap give him the negative feedback so the next person doesn't get ripped off.

You can see the difference in the paper...thanks so much I just ordered from Conde so I am gonna wait on there product before I do any more sub work

I

Way too long and that will cause blurring of the image ...Try 45 seconds 400 degrees peel right away
I will try that but I am gonna still wait on good paper

also - just to make sure - you did take the protective plastic cover off the metal before sublimating - right?  I speak from experience there.  and like bill said longer will make it muddy not better

• Like 2

Yea Scott I did get that right lol! I watched a YouTube vid on it last night and that is where I got the 75 seconds from.

You can see the difference in the paper...

I can not see that kind of difference in my paper Mr.bill.

I

Eddie was it the royal paper that stuff is garbage buy from Coastal Business, or Conde. I will never buy Royal sublimation paper never worked, And there is a slight different one is not bright.

Dakota you mean I wasn't the only one that didn't take the plastic off first? It was my first IPhone4 case it still came out though.

Royal yep that's who got me now that you mention it.

I know I think they get everyone, Damn you Royal Sublimation Paper.

I've used dozens, probably over 100 sheets of Royal paper without issue, all bought off of ebay.

your pressing to long. I leave the plastic on and press then peel it give it a better shine. also on the paper like your thumb and pointer finger and rub both sides of the paper at the same time one side should stick to your finger then the other will be slick and thats the side you print on.

Would the wrong paper really cause the colors to be way off?i just tried something else and that green should be lime green!i pressed at 400 for 45 seconds.

post-5354-0-27167100-1404611801_thumb.jp

You may need to use a color profile to get it right but paper can absolutely screw with color along with press time and temp

• Like 1

Looks like maybe 5 seconds more or else a little more pressure.  Here is the profile with a step by step video from Richard @ Cobra Inks... A bigger bleed area like .0125 I can see the one red stripe didnt go all the way.

https://cobraink.com/Color%20Control/profiles.htm

post-2057-0-87897600-1404624367_thumb.jp

• Like 1