redfish

Backsaving an EPS file

I have an EPS file that was created in a newer version of Illustrator than I own.

How can I open it and save it to an older version?

Thank You

Chris

The board would not let me post the EPS file until I zipped it.

Would like to be able to open in Ill CS3

Try this one. I opened an saved with Inkscape so I don't know for sure that your version of AI can open it but I believe it should be able to.

PBZ_logo_08_1.eps

Thanks, I was unable to open it with inkscape. My version of that is probably old as well.

Inkscape by default can not open EPS files. You need a helper program called Ghostscript. A google search will find it for you along with instructions for installing it and configuring Inkscape and your computer to use it.

Even with Ghostscript (which is installed on this computer), Inkscape is very slow and fussy about .eps files. Same is true with pdf's and .ai files.

For future refrence, you can "place" files that were saved in newer versions of illustrator, into older versions.

File>Place and select your file. it will not be immediatley editable, you will have the image trace options across the top, but dont use those. select the "embedded" button and it will open up the vector data associated with the file. you may have to un-group and release some clipping masks but its a simple enough work around.

For future refrence, you can "place" files that were saved in newer versions of illustrator, into older versions.

File>Place and select your file. it will not be immediatley editable, you will have the image trace options across the top, but dont use those. select the "embedded" button and it will open up the vector data associated with the file. you may have to un-group and release some clipping masks but its a simple enough work around.

I don't know if that will always work. I just tried it here at my "day job" where I keep a copy of CS2 on my pc and it wouldn't place that file. Conversely I have opened new files in CS5 that told me they were created in a newer version and warned that some data loss may occur but still opened them up. AI is a fickle program sometimes I think. 

Just tried CS3 Illustrator and it would not 'Place' it either.

you don't actually have to trace the file once you've placed,

object> flatten transparency

just make sure make text outlines is checked, and you should have you're file.

If it won't place in Illustrator, use Acrobat and convert it to PDF first, then "place" the file in illustrator and flatten transparency.