14 members have voted

1. 1. Have you warmed to windows 8

• Love it
    • Hate it
    • Tolerate it
    • I'm a mac person what is this windows 8 you speak of?
    • I purchased mine with Bitcoin (sorry Ben couldn't help myself)

just curious if people are warming to it - I see jay uses it.  I personally still hate it and when I build a new system later this year will have win 7 pro on it, but curious how many people have converted and like it?

when I use my daughters laptop with win 8 I would just about sit in the hot tub on a 95 degree day sipping hot chocolate than work on it.

• Like 1

I learning to like it. I have it on my laptop that has a touch screen. I switched the bootup to desktop and it's really close to Win 7. (Still like Win 7 better)

• Like 1

see there is another difference - I am a desktop person and no touchscreen

I haven't played with Win 8, but can't you set it up to boot and work and look pretty much just like Win 7?

Microsoft tried to get cute with Win8.  Win8 is a phone / tablet OS that is being forced on the desktop world and it has been a well deserved flop.  MS hedged their bets that they could get more future users by having a consistent OS experience across phone, tablet, and desktop.

Win 7 was FANTASTIC!!!.  I'll give them a mulligan on this one... I'm anxious to see what they do with Win9.

(they totally botch every other OS anyway)  Vista ring a bell?  Millenium Edition?  

I highly recommend this site if you don't have a touch screen capable Win8 machine:

http://www.classicshell.net/

• Like 2

It's a heck of an improvement in an OS when you make it operate like the last one so people can tolerate it

I haven't played with Win 8, but can't you set it up to boot and work and look pretty much just like Win 7?

Yes and no. It boots up to a regular desktop like Win 7 but the native Win 8 apps want to stay in that environment. It's sometimes hard to get back to the desktop if you get away from it. For me at least.

• Like 2

Millenium Edition?  That was my first computer,  HP desktop...  still have it, and it still works,   Just don;t use it, put away.

• Like 1

Yes and no. It boots up to a regular desktop like Win 7 but the native Win 8 apps want to stay in that environment. It's sometimes hard to get back to the desktop if you get away from it. For me at least.

The windows button and "D" should get you back to the desktop. I'm getting used to it but to be fair I just use the thing, I don't try to reengineer although I did use stardock at first to help emulate a win7 experience.

• Like 2

I work on 8 everyday on other peoples computers that are screwed up.

I wouldn't use 8 on any of my stuff even if paid to. I truly hate it.

I install classic shell on everyone I work on just to make it easier to work on.

I have loaded 7 on so many clients systems that bought 8 and hated it.

The only good thing about 8 is all work I got installing 7 on their systems.

• Like 3

Doesn't anyone find it slightly bizarre that Microsoft is just now getting their Operating System to 7, 8, and 9?

Apple had OS7 in 1991.

Mac OS8 was released July 26, 1997.

Mac OS9  (which I still use on my legacy Bronze G3 Powerbook) came along in 1999 (and it was "laid to rest" in 2002 by Steve Jobs' Keynote presentation at the World Wide Developers Conference, as Mac OSx was introduced)

So, where does Microsoft go from here?

Windows 10?

Meow.  (Obscure reference to the series of Apple naming conventions for the various OSx incarnations, using big cats)

MS's counting doesn't make any sense. I don't even remember ever hearing of Windows1-3. Windows 3.11 was the first one I knew about. Then there was NT, NT 3.5, 95, NT 4, 98, ME, 2000, XP, Vista, Win 7, and now Win 8. By my count they should be up to Windows 13 by now and I probably misssed a few versions.

MS's counting doesn't make any sense. I don't eaven remember ever hearing of Windows1-3. Windows 3.11 was the first one I knew about. Then there was NT, NT 3.5, 95, NT 4, 98, ME, 2000, XP, Vista, Win 7, and now Win 8. By my count they should be up to Windows 13 by now and I probably misssed a few versions.

I still have windows 1 on a set of floppies stored away. Doubt they will work the floppies degrade and stop working after a while. I have all of the MS Os's stored away.

I'm using Win8.1 at first I hated it, then I installed the classic shell and now it works great --- It's a laptop - I don't need all those crappy Apps!!!!

It also works great with SBE!!!!

• Like 1

I'm using Win8.1 at first I hated it, then I installed the classic shell and now it works great --- It's a laptop - I don't need all those crappy Apps!!!!

It also works great with SBE!!!!

so you had to install a third party fix to love it.  glad to know of the program though.

question now is will you still love it if they had an update that made the classic shell not work?    latest update on my ipad made the aftermarket charging cords not work is why I ask