smendlik

My 1st submlimation

Thanks to the tech support at Conde I finally got my Ricoh 3110 installed tonight.  I have to admit, at the cost of the cartridges it was a little nerve wracking firing it up the first time!

Anyway, I made a sample bag tag for my daughter's orcherstra instructor as we have been talking about doing some business together.  I might be making tags for each of their instruments as well as for the students when they go on their field trip.  I'm also working on a window decal design for the.  

The "Cut the pineapple" name tag is an inside joke at work.

Not too bad for my first attempt.  

post-34212-0-34980400-1404185586_thumb.j

post-34212-0-32733200-1404185587_thumb.j

• Like 3

Came out great. Just remember to not run too low on ink without spares because it shuts down when it thinks it's out, not when we think it's out :)

Thanks all.  I learned a couple of things, like to hide the layer with the boundry lines so it doesn't print onto the artwork.

jaybird - As much as I hate to spend the money so soon I'm planning on order another set of cartridges very soon.

• Like 1

I've had it where I knew it was low and had ordered ink but in the meantime someone came in wanting a tag and when I hit print it laughed at me and said to change the ink cartridge even though the last prints were fine. Lesson learned.

It's always bad when you learn a lesson the hard way!

lol... Is there any other way to learn a lesson?  

(not for me!)

• Like 1

Looks good. So there is a drawback having a ricoh then hmmm. That's why I like the Epson, yes you have to print something every couple of days but at least you do the bulk ink set you can tell when you need ink.

The Ricoh is the best fit for me now, if this becomes big enough business for me I'll upgrade to a printer that can handle bulk ink but for now it's the best fit for my situation.

Ricoh tells you that you're low just like the epson and if you didn't have bulk ink with a reset the epson would stop printing too. Don't get me wrong I'm going to a bigger printer for sub very soon and it will be an epson but only due to the crazy price on the larger ricoh.

• Like 1

I couldn't believe the price jump from the 3110 to the larger Ricoh printer.  Sublimation printers get real expensive real fast. 

I couldn't believe the price jump from the 3110 to the larger Ricoh printer.  Sublimation printers get real expensive real fast. 

I had sticker shock when I saw the price jump. I can go through 4 7510's and still be cheaper than the bigger ricoh. That being said I do like my Ricoh and if they were more reasonable I would stay loyal to them.

• Like 1

Ricoh tells you that you're low just like the epson and if you didn't have bulk ink with a reset the epson would stop printing too. Don't get me wrong I'm going to a bigger printer for sub very soon and it will be an epson but only due to the crazy price on the larger ricoh.

That's why I like the external tanks on my CISS kits - I can tell by looking exactly how much ink I have left and don't rely on some internal firmware calculating how much ink it thinks there should be left in the cartridges...

I am looking to buy a sublimation printer soon. I think I want the EPSON 1430. I was looking at Cobra ink but they said they don't sell them. Are there some other options for ink that are not as expensive as sawgrass? Or is that the best option?

Cobraink sell the hi temp ink for epsons. Way cheaper than sawgrass.

I am looking to buy a sublimation printer soon. I think I want the EPSON 1430. I was looking at Cobra ink but they said they don't sell them. Are there some other options for ink that are not as expensive as sawgrass? Or is that the best option?

You sure about that?  Check here - http://www.cobraink.com/Printers/epson1430.htm

They may not have one pre-configured with dye sub inks, but you can buy the one with the empty CISS kit and then buy a set of high-temp inks and you're set.

Worst case, do like what I (and many others) have done - buy your Epson printer from ebay/Amazon/local store and then order your dye-sub CISS kit from Cobra Ink.

I have been VERY happy with the 6 color CISS kit for my Epson 1400.   I just knocked out 24 lanyards last Friday for an event on Saturday and printed 6 pages of 13x19" designs without a hitch and the colors looked amazing on the lanyards!

It's strange. They had sublimation listed on their ink menu. Then took it down off the page I guess the night before I called. I called them last night and they said they didn't know what I was talking about. I said I wanted sublimation ink --poly's hard substrates etc and I didn't want to have to trim the papers. He insisted they don't carry it. He said that their pigment and dye are not sublimation inks.
I was just stumped. He took my info to pass along for someone to call me if they ever do carry it again.

I heard good things about Cobra that's why I wanted to try them.

Do you have any clogging with your 1400? I want the 1430 but then was also told that the Epsons clog. I just don't want to invest in a Ricoh that does the same size if I can avoid it.

you can also go to printpayless they car sublimation ink for Epson they say its for the larger printers but works fine in the smaller systems.

If you call back Cobraink ask to speak to Richard and He should have no problem helping you out. Just like anywhere not everybody is as informed as they should be.

• Like 1

I heard good things about Cobra that's why I wanted to try them.

Do you have any clogging with your 1400? I want the 1430 but then was also told that the Epsons clog. I just don't want to invest in a Ricoh that does the same size if I can avoid it.

I have not yet had any problems with clogging on the 1400.  I have mine setup with Google Cloud Print and once a week an alert goes off on my phone reminding me to send test pages to my printers.  I use the WFP-4020 virtually every day, so it doesn't get test pages sent, but the 7520 and 1400 each get a test page every week.

I did find that the CISS kit on the 1400 seems to require a more level table/surface than the kit I had in the WF1100 I used to use - the ink lines were draining back towards the tanks - but I put a couple of shims under the table legs and got it level, re-primed the lines and it keeps right on chugging.  It never stopped, actually, I just started noticing large air gaps in the ink lines...

If you call back Cobraink ask to speak to Richard and He should have no problem helping you out. Just like anywhere not everybody is as informed as they should be.

I usually deal with Ashley in sales and she knows exactly what I need.

Also make sure you download the color profiles for those inks and your printer.  If you go with the 1430, you'll want #43 on this list - http://www.cobraink.com/Color%20Control/profiles.htm or #44 if you're on a Mac