BrandonJ

ORACAL 651 Sticks to Backing Everytime after Being Shipped!!!

I am an ebay seller and also do local work for some friends, but I've been in the vinyl business for years! My vinyl of choice is Oracal 651, due to it's decent lifespan and great price. I've been experiencing some issues lately with the backing sticking terribly bad and ripping (sticking to the vinyl). I ship ALL of my orders from ebay and my customer's are having some true difficulties trying to get the backing off. This problem just caused me to get a NEGative feedback on Ebay (tarnishing my perfect 100% score) and I had to refund $100+ even though I cut, packed and shipped the decals to the customer next day. 

I know other people are having this problem and I just want to know what to do. I'm seriously thinking about just giving ebay up, because I can't ship everything twice and still get negative feedback and having to refund money. It's killing me time and money wise....

**I live in a humid area, with lots of heat**

**The problem has only come to fruition within the past month or so (May-June)**

**I also re-calibrated the height and cutting pressure on my (USCutter SC25) so that the backing isn't cut at all**

Has anyone else had these problems? IF so, with what vinyls/tapes, etc. and

how the heck do I prevent it and help my customers with installation when they

are trying to install in a humid environment, with little to no vinyl application skills???

All help/comments are appreciated and desperately needed!!!

my bet is your are cutting into the backing some - after it sits a bit it tears the backing up with the vinyl

I sell on amazon, etsy and eBay. never had that happen. I live in Phoenix and my orders sit several hours in my very hot mailbox before being picked up. I use oracal 651 vinyl and greenstar application tape.

I had this problem and for the life of me couldn't figure out what was going on. Eventually stepped up to higher grade vinyl and although the initial cost is more expensive....I found out people don't mind paying a few dollars extra for quality decals.

my bet is your are cutting into the backing some - after it sits a bit it tears the backing up with the vinyl

I actually spent like 2 hours calibrating the height and pressure settings....... doing test cut after test cut.

When I got barely no scratching of the backing, but could still weed it up..... that was my medium. So, honestly

with my SC25 from USCutter. there's no way to get it to stop cutting in to the backing>>>:huh:

I sell on amazon, etsy and eBay. never had that happen. I live in Phoenix and my orders sit several hours in my very hot mailbox before being picked up. I use oracal 651 vinyl and greenstar application tape.

Does your vinyl sit outside in an uncontrolled environment with HIGH HUMIDITY?:huh: Arizona has almost no humidity.... very dry heat there. You know about that though.

I had this problem and for the life of me couldn't figure out what was going on. Eventually stepped up to higher grade vinyl and although the initial cost is more expensive....I found out people don't mind paying a few dollars extra for quality decals.

What vinyl were you using and what vinyl do you use now? I need all of my vinyl to be outdoor grade vinyl. Preferably 5-6 years+

What vinyl were you using and what vinyl do you use now? I need all of my vinyl to be outdoor grade vinyl. Preferably 5-6 years+

I do 95% vehicle graphics so I use mostly 751 and 951 depending on colors and availability at the time.

Are you telling your customers to peel the backing away from the decal.?   And not the decal from the backing?   It makes a HUGE difference.  People don't know, and they are trying to LIFT the decal from the backing,  They will lift the paper right up with it doing that..  They need to peel the backing away from the decal.  I actually write it on my decals every order, by pen. ..  Peel backing away...

• Like 1

Are you telling your customers to peel the backing away from the decal.?   And not the decal from the backing?   It makes a HUGE difference.  People don't know, and they are trying to LIFT the decal from the backing,  They will lift the paper right up with it doing that..  They need to peel the backing away from the decal.  I actually write it on my decals every order, by pen. ..  Peel backing away...

That's not a bad idea. It is in my instructions, but maybe I need to make it a little more prevalent. I am a very experienced installer, and have never had issues like this. But even when I try to put on one of the decals myself, I have the backing rip or try to pull the vinyl away from the tape.....

Uggghhhh.... Very frustrated.

Have you tried cutting with different rolls of vinyl to see if you have the same problem? Could you have gotten a bad roll of vinyl? Have you called your supplier and questioned them about this problem?

what cutter did you use in the past - did you  have the same trouble?  (just reread that you have years of experience so there is some past we can rely on?

I always check my decals before shipping. 

I will peel both ends just to see if all the letters or design come up cleanly then pack them to be shipped. It's just gotten into a habit and helps those impatient buyers that want to rip it right off. Only takes a couple seconds per decal.

Out of thousands of decals shipped, I believe I had 2 buyers that had part of the vinyl that wasn't coming off the backing. I live in a typical summer location with high humidity for most of the time and cold winters. 

That's not a bad idea. It is in my instructions, but maybe I need to make it a little more prevalent. I am a very experienced installer, and have never had issues like this. But even when I try to put on one of the decals myself, I have the backing rip or try to pull the vinyl away from the tape.....

Uggghhhh.... Very frustrated.

I have not had any problems with Oracal 651,  But 2 weeks ago,  a guy  messaged me.  He had the decals for almost 2 months lost the instructions, and was trying to lift the decals,  from the backing and was lifting the masking tape away from the decal..  I told him to squeegee the tape again real good, lay the decal face down and peel the backing away.  I guess he got it,  never heard another word.

And I know I wrote on the decal.  He just didn't understand  it..

I always check my decals before shipping. 

I will peel both ends just to see if all the letters or design come up cleanly then pack them to be shipped. It's just gotten into a habit and helps those impatient buyers that want to rip it right off. Only takes a couple seconds per decal.

Out of thousands of decals shipped, I believe I had 2 buyers that had part of the vinyl that wasn't coming off the backing. I live in a typical summer location with high humidity for most of the time and cold winters. 

What about large decals though? Like I used to sell stripes for trucks that went down the side..... there's no way I could lift up a 48" stripe without screwing it up... I've improved my methods, blade pressure and blade height..... I think my customer's are having some installation woes. I will write up a very intriguing installation document tonight for my buyers.

THANKS ALL FOR YOUR QUICK COMMENTS/POSTS!  I HAVE LOOKED EVERYWHERE ON THE NET TRYING TO FIND SOME INFO, I KNEW I SHOULD HAVE CAME HERE FIRST!!

what cutter did you use in the past - did you  have the same trouble?  (just reread that you have years of experience so there is some past we can rely on?

I have worked in many sign shops in the past and continuously for the past 10 years. I'm only having problems in my own personal shop now. All I use is Oracal 651 (and a UScutter SC25). It's all I've ever used with the exception of some 951 metallic a few times. Never had a complaint on that though.

I have recently used a Roland 24" plotter (new) and haven't had any problems.... but that's a whole different type of vinyl and setup. The place is climate controlled too and all of there products come from Fellers.

BASICALLY IVE NEVER HAD TO MESS WITH A PLOTTERS BLADE HEIGHT / PRESSURE SO MUCH IN MY ENTIRE LIFE!!!! The Roland GX-300 never had the blade adjusted at all. It just cuts and cuts and cuts.

I don't have much experience with larger decals yet. My biggest has only been 15" wide. Can't go wrong with some well detailed instructions and what to do if it's not coming off the backing. I include instructions with every order to be on the safe side.

What about large decals though? Like I used to sell stripes for trucks that went down the side..... there's no way I could lift up a 48" stripe without screwing it up... I've improved my methods, blade pressure and blade height..... I think my customer's are having some installation woes. I will write up a very intriguing installation document tonight for my buyers.

THANKS ALL FOR YOUR QUICK COMMENTS/POSTS!  I HAVE LOOKED EVERYWHERE ON THE NET TRYING TO FIND SOME INFO, I KNEW I SHOULD HAVE CAME HERE FIRST!!

How many different rolls have you had this issue with?  

Unfortunately, I think it has mostly been white and matte black in the Oracal 651

I am an ebay seller and also do local work for some friends, but I've been in the vinyl business for years! My vinyl of choice is Oracal 651, due to it's decent lifespan and great price. I've been experiencing some issues lately with the backing sticking terribly bad and ripping (sticking to the vinyl). I ship ALL of my orders from ebay and my customer's are having some true difficulties trying to get the backing off. This problem just caused me to get a NEGative feedback on Ebay (tarnishing my perfect 100% score) and I had to refund $100+ even though I cut, packed and shipped the decals to the customer next day. 

I know other people are having this problem and I just want to know what to do. I'm seriously thinking about just giving ebay up, because I can't ship everything twice and still get negative feedback and having to refund money. It's killing me time and money wise....

**I live in a humid area, with lots of heat**

**The problem has only come to fruition within the past month or so (May-June)**

**I also re-calibrated the height and cutting pressure on my (USCutter SC25) so that the backing isn't cut at all**

Has anyone else had these problems? IF so, with what vinyls/tapes, etc. and

how the heck do I prevent it and help my customers with installation when they

are trying to install in a humid environment, with little to no vinyl application skills???

All help/comments are appreciated and desperately needed!!!

use to happen to me.. I use the Conform 4075-RLA and Oracal 651 works pretty good.

I frequently use 651 and the only time I have this issue is when my blade cuts too deep (goes through the vinyl and into the backing).

To fix, I just reduce the amount of blade that I have sticking out. I don't touch anything with pressure or calibration because it is irrelevant. 

I remember seeing alot of posts on one of the forums awhile back about problems with 651. White usually gives the biggest problem, maybe it's a little thinner than the other colors. The biggest problem I have is a few random letters not releasing form the liner. I almost always use 4076 for everything, a little overkill I know but I've been using high tack forever so it's what I'm used to. 751 is much better, weeds and release is a dream and is only a little more money.