Sign in to follow this  
lauren

Printer / Cutter System

I currently run an MH721 vinyl cutter.  I need to start offering printed decals as well.  I am having a difficult time trying to decide on which machine to get.  I originally just wanted a 24" wide print option but am having trouble finding that.

Today I stumbled upon the PrismJET VJ 24 with Vinyl Express Qe6000 Plotter to run two different machines.  My MH721 still runs just fine and I think the QE6000 would replace it only because of it having an optical eye?? (I am kind of lost).

I was also looking at a 30" versacamm all in one system which are a little pricier.  Are there other options out there? Is there something better over another that is still cost friendly?

Is there a benefit to having an all in one over two separate machines?  

Are there other 24" wide machine out there that I am just missing?

the advantage to two machines is one can print while the other contours after lamination increasing work flow - but I love how much easier the roland all in 1 finds the contour marks to cut after lamination.  personally I have a roland versacamm and a graphtec - the graphtec is used for all cut vinyl and the roland print and cut for all print jobs.   there is one other option the roland bn-20  20" machine but you lose out on all banner jobs as the least people want is the 24" tall ones

I wouldn`t go ant less than 30 inch.

I have the Roland 300V & love it.

Graphtec 30 inch cutter.

mark-s

• Like 1

That makes 2 of us in the world mark - I am the only one I know that went from a 54" to a 30" and am very happy

Okay so have a vinyl plotter for just die-cut jobs... then the versacamm for print cut...

Is there a certain place known for being better to buy the versacamm from?  Any idea on how much er square inch or foot it costs to print?  

You can add me to that list too. Love my Roland SP-300i. I also have a Graphtec 24", but rarely use it these days. I'd say 80% of my jobs are printed.

• Like 1

look for a dealer close that can service it as needed - you will be doing weekly maint but for bigger things if you wait it gets more expensive quickly so you want to have a good support place.   price I think is pretty much fixed

• Like 1

die cutting is much more labor intensive than using a plotter or printer - whole nother critter

img_6495-rotary-die-cutting.jpg

• Like 1

Is there a certain place known for being better to buy the versacamm from?  Any idea on how much er square inch or foot it costs to print?  

I went the route of buying a dealer demo, got free delivery and onsite installation/training with it, and they also warranted my printer for a year.

As far as cost, it depends on your media, quality and graphics.

• Like 1

laminate prints that are in wear areas or will be used longer than 3 years outside.  different laminates for different films also.  stock adds up

Also, should mention that if you're printer is sitting idle, you're still using ink. The printer turns on every 6 hours for a head clean and it dumps ink into the waste tank as it's doing that. So, you should factor that into your cost as well.

Understand that these printers need to be kept running, heads go bad when not being used.

• Like 1

Also, should mention that if you're printer is sitting idle, you're still using ink. The printer turns on every 6 hours for a head clean and it dumps ink into the waste tank as it's doing that. So, you should factor that into your cost as well.

Understand that these printers need to be kept running, heads go bad when not being used.

+100 - they do not like being attention deprived and will cost a bunch if you try

I am not finding any local service people for these in my area... that kind of scares me. 

Where are you located? And I guess what's your definition of local?

My dealer is about 2.5 hours away, but they cover my area (and even further) as part of their "local" service area.

I just called a place 4 hours away and they said I am considered local to them and them would provide the service.

Now to find a good price...

• Like 1