ThermoPuke

Blade offset problems

First off, I have my blade offset at .50 and I am using a 45 degree blade I think.  My corners are square.

The problem I am having is the program starting the cut on the inside of my shapes.  For example: I am cutting out a thin outline shape that is about 3mm thick.  When the blade comes to position and starts the cut, it starts inside of where the outline is supposed to be and then goes out to where it is supposed to cut.  On the inside of the outline, it does the oposite.  When I weed it, the outline now has a pit where the blade started cutting on the outside and a little jaggie where it started to cut on the inside.

Also, when I am cutting little shapes, it starts the cut on the inside corner of the square, goes around and finishes the cut.  The end result is a near cut-off of one of the corners of the square.  If I'm not careful, it gets ripped off.  It happens to about 20% of the shapes in a whole project.

Here's a little exagerated picture I drew of what happens:

pcutproblem.jpg

Is there any way to fix this?

This the problem with my cutters. I have two refine cutters a mh365 and a mh721. I have had this problem with both cutters from day one, tried to get it resolved about 8 months ago. The basic answer was to keep increasing to the blade offset, it did't work. I also have tried three different cuting programs, they all do the same thing. Any help would be great.

BigMac

This the problem with my cutters. I have two refine cutters a mh365 and a mh721. I have had this problem with both cutters from day one, tried to get it resolved about 8 months ago. The basic answer was to keep increasing to the blade offset, it did't work. I also have tried three different cuting programs, they all do the same thing. Any help would be great.

BigMac

Two different cutters,3 different programs...this is weird. Either you are the unluckiest guy I ever met to get 2 bad cutters,OR there is something in Common in both cases. Same computer? Same settings? Bad ground?This is going to have to take some serious thought.

Let me illustrate what I am talking about here:

I listen to Car Talk on NPR (great show,btw) and one caller was complaining that he had owned 3 cars in a row and all of them were straight shift,and all of them the clutch wore out at around 40,000 miles.

What was the one thing all 3 cars had in common except for the manufacturer?(Tom and Ray asked)

Answer: the driver and his driving habits.

Point: if you have the exact same problem with two different things, with different programs,etc..there HAS to be something in common between the 2 that is wrong.

In this case its not the driver. There has been many posts here about this problem. I have read just about ever one of them. I have tried every thing that has been posted, from grounding to increasing cutter offset, decreasing cutter offset, speed, new cutters, low to high cutting force, over cut settings. There is a problem! The last answer was from someone at Signcut saying that the graphics was to small to cut, It was a 5" x 5" butterfly. After that I just gave up and don't use my cutters very much, when I do I just use a knife to finish the cuts, any help for us bad drivers, Please.

BigMac

took mine to .25 and it didnt cut right at all it went everywhere on the paper

try.025 not .25.

BigMac

Would you like to send back the MH365 so I can check it out for you and see if it does the same for me, and if so, maybe we need to get you 2 new units. If not, I might ba able to determine what the problem is. 5" x 5" butterfly should be no issue at all with any of our units.

I have a pcut ctn630

I tried .25 but I get rounded corners and that issue is still present.

Have you checked for any play int he feed rollers or the feed roller belt under the right side case of the cutter? I have seen cases where the belt was too loose and just needed some tightening.

In this case its not the driver. There has been many posts here about this problem. I have read just about ever one of them. I have tried every thing that has been posted, from grounding to increasing cutter offset, decreasing cutter offset, speed, new cutters, low to high cutting force, over cut settings. There is a problem! The last answer was from someone at Signcut saying that the graphics was to small to cut, It was a 5" x 5" butterfly. After that I just gave up and don't use my cutters very much, when I do I just use a knife to finish the cuts, any help for us bad drivers, Please.

BigMac

I know there is a problem but what I am saying is that the problem isn't in the cutters...it has to be something in common that both cutters share.

Yes,as Ken suggested,send it back. I would be very interested to know if it does the same thing on his bench.

The bottom photo shows WAY to much offset.... should be set to .025" that's point zero two five.

If nothing else set the offset to .000" and work your way up.

The top picture could be because of the blade depth, sticky blade, wrong psi or a combination of those.Try setting up the blade using this as a guide http://forum.uscutter.com/index.php/topic,3362.0.html

Hope that helps

The top photo is the vinyl cut

The bottom photo is the paper & pen plot

Do you think it might be the initial rotation of the blade at the start of the cut?  The problem areas are different if I change the orientation of the item being cut.

Would using a 60 degree blade help since there should be less blade offset?

Do you think it might be the initial rotation of the blade at the start of the cut?  The problem areas are different if I change the orientation of the item being cut

I think we've all seen similar problems cause by improper blade adjustment, pressure and speed. My best advise is to set it up using the above link as a guide and go from there. Try a new blade, oil the blade carrier and make sure the blade spins easily... but use the guide

Would using a 60 degree blade help since there should be less blade offset?

Usually the blade offsets are the same.. most common is .025" point zero two five

Your bottom photo SCREAMS to big of an offset

I think when you do a pen plot that the cutter offset should be set to "0". Try it and see if it works.

Ken I will get back with you same time next week,  thanks.

BigMac

Offset is dependent on the units.  It should be approximately .25mm or .01 inches.  If your offset setting is in inches and you set it to .25, it will be WAY to much....

I think we should all take a step backwards and look at what the blade offset should be. Is it dependent on the units your are work in or is it in millimeters no matter what units you are working in. Should it be .25 mm or .02 to .03 mm. I took two new blades to my local machine shop and had them take a mesurement of the actual offset, one blade was .007 and the other was .008 thousands of an inch. I'am not the best at math but I think that come out to 0.118 mm and 0.203 mm, the blades from USCutter states offset 0.25. That is damm close. Now with this information what shoud my offset be in SB with units set to inches.

Thanks    BigMac

using Signblazer on a refine cutter,with my offset set to 00 I get flawless cuts every time.Go figure.