Sign in to follow this  
AMDG

Cutting Vinyl Decals

Hello all,

I generally only cut heat transfer vinyl with my cutter  but was recently asked to cut some decals.  The material I am using is Oracle 651 in gloss white.  

The issue I am having is with weeding.  I have cut a bunch of different samples and some wind up easy to weed and some wind up like they aren't really cut

all the way through.  

I attached the graphic for you to check out.  I have been making their t-shirts for some time and cut as small as 4 inches for shirts.  I just can't weed the stickers.  

I am cutting them roughly 4x6 or whatever the file is currently scaled at.  

Any help would be great.  I increased the cut depth and pressure to see if that would help but it really hasn't.  

Thank you,

Jesse

One with Nature logo.svg

What plotter do you have? I've had to run my pressure on my SC to 100. I'd also slow the speed.

It's a logo for a friend's company called One with Nature.  It's a fingerprint that has waves, mountains, life, etc...  It's their design.

I currently run at 300mm/s and the pressure at 100g.  I have been struggling to cut this logo, even cutting it at 10"s makes it a chore to weed.

Still seems like it isn't cutting all the way through or near the points isn't cutting all the way.  Going crazy as I need to cut 50 in white and 50 in black asap.  

Thanks everyone.

Jesse

What cutter do you have. and what software your using. that seems like it would be easy to weed.

I am using a SC Series 30" cutter plotter with Sure Cuts A Lot 3.  I mainly create everything in Corel 7 and then import.  

It almost seems like it's not cutting the ends of each tip on the logo with the vinyl.  I have enough pressure and depth to break the skin of the backing paper but not go through and it still 

is giving me issues.  

IMO the tips on most of those points are a bit too extreme to cut good. A good way to help this is to zoom in and add an anchor point just down a bit from the very tip on each each side of the tip and then remove the one at the tip itself. This should result in a tight radius rather than a tight angle. The blade will have a better chance of making the corner and you won't be able to tell the difference looking at the design. (I'm talking real small at the corner)

I don't have time to mess with it right now or I'd do a couple of them and send it back so you can see the difference. This may or may not cure your woes because tight little stuff like this are the bane of the budget cutters (and often high end cutters) but it could help enough to get through the job. 

• Like 1