sbecker69

MH871-MK2 detailed cuts issue

I am newer to using the MH871.  I am doing a project that is requiring a very intricate detailed item and when the cutter cuts it there is pieces missing that it pulls up when it gets done cutting that I need in the item.  I was just wondering what settings I should be using when I am cutting Oracal 631 vinyl and I need all of the small little details to stay where they were cut.  I am cutting on the lowest possible speed that I can on my machine but I'm sure that I am missing another setting.

Usually a little less blade exposed or slightly lower pressure will help leave the pieces in place

• Like 1

Keep in mind that the cutter is following a path composed of nodes that allow the blade to track along these nodes, and you might not have enough of them in the design.

Slowing down the cut speed and lowering the pressure helps in my experience. This is on top of what everyone else said.

like jay - betting too much blade, sharpest blade helps (60 degree cleancut) and slow cuts (everyone already covered these above- 631 has a less strong adhesive to hold it to the backing paper so cutting small intricate things is a challenge especially with a cutter with a stepper motor. so everything has to be optimized to do it.

Thank you everyone.  I ended up just eliminating the issue I was having and it turned out great without it!  I will keep all the advice in mind.  I am usually doing just graphics for vehicles and signs and a lot of decals.  This was something that I was doing for a friend for a nursery.  Thank you again!

On 6/29/2014 at 11:52 AM, Dakotagrafx said:

like jay - betting too much blade, sharpest blade helps (60 degree cleancut) and slow cuts (everyone already covered these above- 631 has a less strong adhesive to hold it to the backing paper so cutting small intricate things is a challenge especially with a cutter with a stepper motor. so everything has to be optimized to do it.

Hi Dakotagrafx. I know this post is old but could you please share a link to the blade you are recommending? I see there are numerous 60 degree blades available on the CleanCut website.  Thank you.

1 minute ago, BOOP321 said:

Hi Dakotagrafx. I know this post is old but could you please share a link to the blade you are recommending? I see there are numerous 60 degree blades available on the CleanCut website.  Thank you.

Hi boop - kinda depends on which  cutter you have - I buy roland and graphtec blades from him - he has some for specialty materials like reflectives etc but I just use the regular cleancut 60 degree blades in all the cutters - this is the one for my roland http://cleancutblade.mybigcommerce.com/roland-60/ but also buy the one he has for my graphtec

6 minutes ago, Dakotagrafx said:

Hi boop - kinda depends on which  cutter you have - I buy roland and graphtec blades from him - he has some for specialty materials like reflectives etc but I just use the regular cleancut 60 degree blades in all the cutters - this is the one for my roland http://cleancutblade.mybigcommerce.com/roland-60/ but also buy the one he has for my graphtec

Ok. I just received the MH 871 cutter yesterday and have been testing and was using a very cursive font to try to get the settings appropriate for cutting. It's just those little specs in like an e or a loopy letter that tend to get drug up and don't stay put. So I'm still in the testing phase. Seems like the type of blade you use could make a difference. Thank you for the link.

Cutting fine detail is difficult even on high end cutters, the MH is the lowest of the bunch so getting anything too small on it may not be possible. Be sure you have your blade depth set correctly, dial in your offset, and if your software supports it, add a bit of overcut, 1-2mm should be enough.