Im lookin to start my website sooner than expected.

Should I go Sole or LLC? I dont ecpect to make much for a couple years. Sole propritorship would be easy on the wallet unless i get sued.  Im running 100% from home ecommerce.   What do you guys think?  

LLC is way more expensive here in IL.  Sole proprietorship here unless things really take off and it was expensive enough after all the red tape IL bullcrap.

I run sole prop and if you think LLC holds you harmless you might want to do a little more investigating. There's a reason they don't call in a no liability corporation.

• Like 2

Sole Prop here too, LLC isn't really any benifet. You are still liable no matter what you have been told or think. The only way to escape that is to incorporate and that is not a cheap way to go. You can buy an insurance policy for 1 million for just a few hundred a year. Its a good investment.

• Like 1

Does an LLC completely protect you   NO

But it does provide more protection then a Sole Prop.

I'm an LLC but I'm treated like a Solo Prop (Tax wise) because I'm the only owner.

In FL it cost about $160.  

I wouldn't pay a lawyer because all they are going to do is fill in the same form you can fill out yourself. 

Just do your research. 

Guess what? Under Tenn Law, you can't do it yourself. You have to get a lawyer to do it for you. How's that for lining pockets?

Here in Mn I got my LLC for like $160..just got my renewal form..its $25 to renew..

No lawyer needed either.

• Like 1

I've operated my business as a Sole Propritor for 28 years.

Concidered a few times Incorporating or LLC.

Every time I looked into it I couldn't find practical reasons for it,

for me and my enterprise, at least.

Hard to beat the simplicity and Low Cost/ Headache factor it offers.

• Like 1

Guess what? Under Tenn Law, you can't do it yourself. You have to get a lawyer to do it for you. How's that for lining pockets?

Are you talking about a LLC?

I have heard that it is better to get and LLC for the sole purpose of below.

"all LLC owners are protected from personal liability for business debts and claims.  This means that if the business itself can't pay a creditor -- such as a supplier, a lender, or a landlord -- the creditor cannot legally come after and LLC member's house, car, or other personal possession.  Because only LLC assets are used to pay off business debts, LLC owners stand to lose only the money that they've invested in the LLC."

AS Jaybird mentioned above...details from here ;

However, a creditor can also try to go after your personal assets by eliminating the limited liability protection provided by the corporation or LLC. This is commonly referred to as piercing the corporate veil. 

The corporate veil is usually pierced if the creditor can show that the corporation or LLC was a shell created only to provide liability protection for its owners or the company was practically inseparable from or an alter ego of its owners.

Courts will be more likely to pierce the corporate veil if:

• Corporate formalities, such as holding annual meetings and keeping minutes, were not followed.
  • Certain owners exerted too much control over the corporation or LLC.
  • Owners commingled personal funds with company funds or used personal funds to satisfy company obligations.
  • The company was not sufficiently capitalized when it was formed.

I dont plan to go into debt or need a creditor As im still working full time plus ebay sales are funding the website supplies etc...

I dont plan to go into debt or need a creditor As im still working full time plus ebay sales are funding the website supplies etc...

lol nobody really ever "plans" to go into debt...it just happens..

• Like 1

Sounds like filing as Sole Proprietor is all you need, Jesse.

...and debt doesn't "just happen".... It's a decision, every time.

• Like 2